Can I fix this or do they now need to be restrung?

TahitianDreamin

Hello!

I don't know if this is the right forum, sorry if I messed that up :D

I stupidly was wearing my akoya bracelet last night while we were moving in a new couch (DUH RIGHT?!?!) and of course, it got smooshed between the wall and my arm and this happened

IMG_4203.jpg

Can I fix this myself? Or do I have to go get it restrung? I am so mad at myself!! UGH!!! :mad:

Oh, that's very sad! Is there a thread end visible that you could pull on with tweezers to tighten again, make a knot and dab with glue? At any rate, it would be only a temporary fix; best to restring so you will not worry when wearing it. Lots of directions under Lowly Beaders section if you want to attempt it yourself.

How very maddening! But Pattye is right- it's best to restring. And this is a great chance for you to learn how to do it, since a bracelet is short and you won't have to make so many knots.

I recommend Pattye's Serafil thread or Beaders Secret thread if you decide to give it a try. It's very easy to work with and no tools needed.

Last edited:
Sigh! Isn't life just like that? You will join the sisterhood of frustrated, then elated knotters, ready or not. (Hard to resist the other spelling.)

LOL GemGeek .. so funny. Give it a try. You can always turn it over to a jeweller if it doesn't work out. It's not (yeah it is hard to resist) that it's hard, it just takes practice to get it right. Get some Beaders Secret as that knots really nicely. And a bracelet is good to start with ... only half as frustrating.
I do sympathise with your predicament I worked on a rope and was finished, finally, when I noticed that one pearl was a bit odd..the thread had caught up a bit when I pulled it through and I was in a knotting haze and didn't notice. sure enough when I ran my hand down the length .. the thread slipped through, the pearl dropped a few mm .. and I had a gap. Had to redo the whole thing. Frustrating!

Do give it a try..it's very satisfying to make your own jewellery.

The good thing when you are learning to knot is that there's little cost apart from the initial outlay on thread and maybe a pack of french wire. After that you can do, decide it's not right, re-do and re-do again and again, the pearls won't mind a bit.
And don't be so hard on yourself that you expect total perfection first time. I now cringe if I see something I knotted a decade ago. I'm sure every nimble knotter here will say exactly the same. People expect to be perfect from the first attempt...but you would not expect to be fluent after one language lesson.

Back