Can anyone help me...

S

Sondra

Hi, I'm new to the forum. My employer (I work for a marketing firm) recently asked me to conduct research on the demographics of individuals who purchase freshwater pearls and I'm not really sure where to start!

I've done considerable research online, and have learned volumes about the culturing of various types of pearls and the differences between them, but have been able to find very little about the individuals who actually purchase them.

Here is what I've been able to deduct from my research:
-FW pearls are most likely purchased by members of the middle class, because of their affordability and durability when compared to other varieties.

-FW pearls have a place in the bridal industry for the same reason (bridal jewelry and bridesmaids' gifts)

Other than this, I've been at a loss. I'm specifically trying to determing 1. the age range/gender of individuals most likely to purchase FW pearls (what percentage are purchased by males as gifts for females/do females frequently make such purchases for themselves? Are young people/teens purchasing/wearing such pearls, or does the market consist primarily of adults?

2. the geographic background of people most likely to buy FW pearls
Are any regions more prone to purchase FW pearls? -obviously, certain regions cultivate their own, so those areas would most likely have a higher concentration, but that may be an incorrect assumption.

3. the cultural background of those most likely to purchase FW pearls
Are there any religions or ethnic groups prone to buying FW pearls?

and

4. the prominent uses for FW peals
Obviously, jewelry is dominant. However, what percentage of FW pearls sold in the US are already made into jewelry, and what percentage is sold loose to be used in custom pieces? Are there any other common uses?

I'm sure there are other relevant demographic details, but any help with this information would be a start. At this point, I honestly don't know where my research project is headed, but I hope to find some resources here who might be interested in at least sending me in the right direction!

If anyone has any suggestions for where I might be able to find such information, or if you are able to contribute any information yourself, I would greatly appreciate the input.

You may respond directly to this post, or email me: sondra@gochp.com

Thank you in advance!

Hi Sondra,

I wonder why the forum sellers have not chimed in yet. From what I have learned just talking to people who saw my pearls and volunteered their own experience, freshwater pearls are mostly bought by women for themselves. There is also a strong bias toward more educated buyers.

Educated people both male and female typically inform themselves before buying and make decisions rather on inherent quality than brands. This would mostly apply to the upper end of the freshwater pearl market. On the low end most shoppers are not even aware whether they are buying imitation or freshwater cultured since the price and fashion/design aspects are more important to them than the stone origin. Cheap akoyas and Tahitians are generally not attractive and thus do not appeal to fashion shoppers. The latter two appeal rather to Mystique shoppers on a budget. If you search the term "freshadama" on this forum you can find plenty of arguments why people bought them or found them the better choice.

Zeide

Zeide,

I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to respond. What you've said makes a lot of sense!

I've learned so much through the course of this project, and your input has helped fill in some of the blanks and round things out a bit.

I have been scouring the forums, and must say it's fascinating and though previously I hadn't really given pearls a second thought (I've only really seen poor imitations, which don't do justice to the real ones) but after learning about the history, the science behind their formation, the diversity and especially after seeing the gorgeous gems posted here, I have an entirely new view!

Perhaps a sting of shiny pearls is in my future, and thanks to your help and the others on the forum, I'll be able to find the perfect ones for me! -And when I do, I'll be sure to post!

Thanks again!

Sondra

Hi Sondra, I would like to add from my perspective some of the home shopping channels have done a lot to promote freshwater pearls, and in addition to giving relatively accurate information about why they are just as good, but less expensive, and have a price point that women feel comfortable purchasing for themselves ( approx $50-$200). They sell several thousand of each item in a couple of minutes. (Now I am not addressing the quality of the pearls they may sell here.) Being able to get something "real" for a costume jewelry price is very appealing. I don't know if you could get any information from the shopping channels, however on volume. If you want to see what kind of prices and items they are offering, the shopping channels also have online stores.
When I was selling fine jewelry retail in the mid 90's, I saw an increase of working women-I would say upper middle class-feeling more comfortable buying jewelry for themselves.
Pattye Saab

Pattye,

Thank you for your insight as well! I wouldn't have thought to check with home shopping channels for statistical date -what a wonderful idea!

Back