Can anyone help me know what kind of pearls do I have?

mommyD

I was given these pearls 3 years ago from a wealthy Vietnamese Family for taking in their son on an exchange program. They are a blue/purple color. They are gritty to the teeth. All are different shapes and sizes (circular, oval, little lines) but are around the same size of slightly over or under 1cm. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Does the clasp have any markings on it? 14k, 10k, 925 , 18k, 585? Anything like that? Are the all shapes like a potato? Also it would be nice to see a photo of the entire necklace. It would easier for the experts to identify them if the photo was a little clear. Does your camera have a macro setting (little flower)? Try that without the flash. ~d

Welcome to Pearl-Guide!

Feel free to post your own thread in this section, but please be sure to answer the following questions in your thread!

We would be pleased to try to help you determine what sort of pearls you have, but we will need some information from you first.

We need you to answer every question:

1. Do the pearls feel slightly gritty or smooth when rubbed gently against your tooth or against another pearl?
If they are gritty, they are likely to be real nacre (genuine pearls.) If they feel smooth, they are likely imitation pearls.

2. Please provide clear, in-focus photos without flash against a white background (a paper towel works nicely.)
Include close-ups of the clasp (front and back) and a few of the pearls. If there are flaws, include a photo of those. Also the box they came in, and tags if you have them.

3. Any history you can give us about the pearls. Where/when you or your relative got them, any documentation you have (receipts, appraisals), their price range if you know it, etc.

4. Describe any marks on the clasp. These may be numbers (14K, 585, 750, 925 etc.) or brand names or even pictures.

5. Measure the pearls, with a millimeter ruler if possible. If they are graduated, measure the largest and smallest pearls.

Please understand that any opinions we offer are not an official appraisal. If you think you may have valuable pearls, please see a jeweler.

no marking on clasp. All pearls are slightly different, perfect circles, oval even some ribbed with a few lines but not one is identical to the next. I have more pics but am not computer savvy, I will try to upload them. The pics are not the clearest but I tried to get better ones, there is no flash but the lights in my room. Thanks for your help.

its a thread. I just added more pictures...not sure where they are. What value (apx) are these? The thread they are on is broke and not sure, depending on value, on how to re-set them. Thanks

Last edited:
ok, thank you very much!! I really appreciate every ones help. Now I know :)

Back