Callas

V

Valeria101

You may find better images elsewhere of these pearls from the collection of Maria Callas sold a while back at auction. A link to older news by BBC brought them up:

LINK to BBC slide-show

The relevant picture is this:
_40533205_pearls_body_afp.jpg

The six-strand graduated necklace in the background beckons...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhhh, gorgeous. Reminds me of peices from royal collections.
That graduated six strander can't be natural, can it?

Slraep

I am lucky enough to have the auction catalogue of this sale in my collection,
This was held by Sotheby's in Geneva in November 2004.

The earrings are natural pearls .
The necklace was not on sale, so I could not tell.

Hm... good question, Slraep. I would think it could... considering the circumstances.

The pearls look very round in the small picture, but it could well be illusion and extremely fine pearls, methinks. :rolleyes:

If they are natural pearls, THIS could well be the little sister of that piece :eek:

If it was from Onassis, I would believe it was natural, though it is so big and perfect it looks faux.........think Baroda pearls.........

Caitlin Williams said:
... so big and perfect it looks faux....

Not quite as big as these (below) which look even more convincing by shape - either for somewhat baroque cultured or the big N. She was known for both outrageous real and costume jewelry, so... who knows.... They look great either way - a double choker, not so common these days. :cool:

MariaCallas.jpg

Wish they had shown the clasp on that six-strand necklace!!
Yes, Caitlin, those look like gorgeous baroques to me also.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

View attachment 2201

THAT one was Callas's too and will be offered in Sotheby's auction in December.
It is GOLD, SEED PEARL, ONYX, RUBY AND DIAMOND BROOCH POODLE, CARTIER 1948

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Could she be wearing two necklaces in the top pic? A two-strander and a 4? Then in Caitlin's it's just the 2-strander. Such worries! "Shall I wear 2, 4, or 6 strands today." Can you imagine? Ok! Off to work I go! :)

Back