Buying South Sea Pearl on Ebay!

Hmm, the seller has been mentioned here on the forum a couple of times. You could do a search. I seem to recall it was fairly favorably. I doubt the pearls are fake and the size indicates SSP. What does happen often on eBay is selling freshwater pearls as something more expensive. I can't judge if that is the case here. If you like them you can set up a bid for as much as you would pay of they were freshwater.

- Karin

They look like SS pearls and as long as you will get the ones in the photo it should be safe but they haven't got the greatest reputation although I think they have cleaned up their act.

With 4 hours to go you will likely find the price will rise quite a lot. Might be worth a punt!!

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.
Dawn’s Pearls - https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8351

The only possible warning signs I saw were first, the last photo on the right shows some divots and the rest of the photos look a bit too bright or out of focus so I couldn't really tell what the quality of the rest of the surface was. Also, they look definitely white to me but way farther down in the detailed description it says "white, but not snow white." So I wondered if they're actually more of a cream/champagne color, or if they were just being extra careful in their description. But after paying $20 to send a necklace back to China, I might be too careful myself now, so fwiw. :)

Last edited:
I have bought a pair of earrings from the same seller and similar post earrings but 12.5 mm in size. It's on 14K gold post and paid $100 for it. It was a little bit gritty when I did the tooth test. It has a lot of spots and the overall surface was poor in quality (can't really expect anything for its price). I have to say that it was coated with something to improve its luster. It had that oily slick look to it. I have scratched it and it does not leave a scratch mark on the pearl BUT in the initial scratch something came off a little bit, like a lacquer coating coming off it.

Last edited:
Back