Buying a pearl strand in an auction?

Also, the last photo-- if that is a white background-- is underexposed, which would make the colors appear more saturated than they are in reality. There are no shadows on the pearls, so it was taken in the shade, which is why you see some overtones. IMO that is the probably the best that strand is going to look, in person. It's nice, but do you love it?

If I have to talk myself into loving a strand of pearls, it isn't the right strand for me.
Thank you so much for your replies. i do love what I saw in the first photo. I am dreaming of a really ”colourful” strand and I thought ”Fiji pearls” (I am obviously referring to the colours) was something I could only dream about. In fact I thought the colours were that amazing that I was afraid they were dyed. Now I wonder if it is even possible to find what I want in terms of colour? My initial thought was trying to buy individual pearls (and let it take a few years) but also I cannot pay 20+ kUSD for a strand, not even if will ”collect” the pearls over time, Also I really like those ”bubble strands” with pearls in different sizes. In any case I learnt, thanks to you, that I will have to look for pearls with the body colour I like and also it is obvious photos cannot always be trusted which obviously makes this a bit difficult.

Highly colorful Tahitians-- a whole strand of them--aren't common, that's for sure.
These are the best I found, from Pearl Paradise, back in 2016-- vendor photo; photo in the shade; on my daughter's neck in shade, (we bought it for her) and on my husband's neck (daughter didn't want them so he wears them!)
8.0-9.7mm round Tahitian strand from PP.jpg
Tahitian rounds in diffuse outdoor light.jpg
Round Tahitian strand on my daughter.jpg

Husband wearing Tahitians.jpg

Highly colorful Tahitians-- a whole strand of them--aren't common, that's for sure.
These are the best I found, from Pearl Paradise, back in 2016-- vendor photo; photo in the shade; on my daughter's neck in shade, (we bought it for her) and on my husband's neck (daughter didn't want them so he wears them!)
View attachment 461971View attachment 461972View attachment 461973
View attachment 461975
Fantastic pearls! These are surely in different colours and that is what I am looking for - the more colourful the better it is!

I loved the first photo...but it's a "glam" (studio) photo that makes the pearls look so much better. Exposing the pearls to direct sunlight reveals most of the imperfections, but also makes the overtones "disappear".
Would have loved to see the necklace even worn, but under indirect natural light.
The first photo is a seller...the new ones make you think twice or thrice.

I loved the first photo...but it's a "glam" (studio) photo that makes the pearls look so much better. Exposing the pearls to direct sunlight reveals most of the imperfections, but also makes the overtones "disappear".
Would have loved to see the necklace even worn, but under indirect natural light.
The first photo is a seller...the new ones make you think twice or thrice.
It felt too good to be true but I guess it was. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of it worn but I have a few videos, not sure of if they can be uploaded though.

Although I am very happy I didn't put in a high bid for the strand, this whole experience makes me feel a bit nervous. I want pearls in truly vivid colours but I guess everything can look great or at least good when the light is optimal. Also "vivid colours" could be a bit subjective I assume but I mean pearls with not just different overtones but rather pearls in different colours.

Settling never seems to be a good idea. You will not be happy, keep looking and find one that you can't afford because you bought this one. If it was super cheap, maybe. But it isn't.

Apart from the online vendors you probably already get newsletters from, you might want to follow Cees on Instagram and also keep consider Pearlessence (Wendy).

And now you know more about what pictures to ask for plus check the return policy.

Apart from the online vendors you probably already get newsletters from, you might want to follow Cees on Instagram and also keep consider Pearlessence (Wendy).

And now you know more about what pictures to ask for plus check the return policy.
I am following them both :) I surely know what to ask for when it comes to photos. This was such an "awakening". I never thought it could be this huge difference. It in fact looked like another stand on the other photos I got. As for online vendors I only have experience from Pearl Paradise.

@Precious Pearl Online pearl shopping is so so tricky!!! Especially with an unknown vendor. What helped me to ”read” pearl pictures ( besides actually buying the pearls and doing the comparison by myself) was a thread on Pricescope pearl forum titled “Tahitian pearls - Vendor vs.IRL pictures. But of course these are mostly well-known vendors’ pearls.

@Pearl Dreams That is one of my all time favorites Tahitian multi necklaces! Incredible in the glam pic and IRL as well! Your husband is one lucky guy!!!!

@Precious Pearl Online pearl shopping is so so tricky!!! Especially with an unknown vendor. What helped me to ”read” pearl pictures ( besides actually buying the pearls and doing the comparison by myself) was a thread on Pricescope pearl forum titled “Tahitian pearls - Vendor vs.IRL pictures. But of course these are mostly well-known vendors’ pearls.

@Pearl Dreams That is one of my all time favorites Tahitian multi necklaces! Incredible in the glam pic and IRL as well! Your husband is one lucky guy!!!!
That thread on Pricescope was great! And also, I saw a few strands there with the colours I am looking for so it seems to be possible to find what I want. It is really good to see that Pearl Paradise has so good photos!

That thread on Pricescope was great! And also, I saw a few strands there with the colours I am looking for so it seems to be possible to find what I want. It is really good to see that Pearl Paradise has so good photos!
Pearlescence has realistic photos as well, as KarinK had mentioned. (Several of the pearls I've gotten from Pearlescence have actually looked even a little better IRL than in Wendy's online "glamor shots!")

And wow, @Pearl Dreams, that's an incredible strand!!!

Pearlescence has realistic photos as well, as KarinK had mentioned. (Several of the pearls I've gotten from Pearlescence have actually looked even a little better IRL than in Wendy's online "glamor shots!")

And wow, @Pearl Dreams, that's an incredible strand!!!
That is really good! The photo from the auction was certainly not very representative. I hope whoever is buying the strand has seen it IRL before placing the bid.

Back