Blue Pearl Earrings - could they be Cortez?

Bodecia

Pearl Designer & Collector
Hi All,

I have attached photos of a pair of blue pearl earrings which I find rather enchanting. They are 11mm wide so they are a good size and I wondered if they were Sea of Cortez Pearls. They are set in white gold in claw type settings. I really love those claws holding the pearls.

Would love opinions on them. I am hoping Douglas comes online and views them.

Dawn
http://shop.ebay.com/dawncee333/m.html
Pearl lover and Natural Pearl collector

Attachments

• Blue Pearls.jpg
    Blue Pearls.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 46
Yes, I hope Douglas will comment also. That color is very intense for Sea of Cortez, my first impression is that they are dyed. Very interesting mounting, but seems overpowering for the pearls! Also that would be a huge size for Cortez pearls, even one, much less a matched pair. Have you seen them in person? Genuine Cortez Pearls in this size and color would be extremely valuable. Also seem too dark for blue South Sea pearls. Just my opinion, Dawn.

my first impression is that they are dyed

That was my first impression as well but its hard to say, if they are cortez I'm sure douglas would remember such a blue pair of pearls.

Hi Pattye,

I have wondered if they have been dyed too. They are very bright and maybe too bright. Apart from dyeing the photos might have been enhanced which might have the opposite effect on the pearls causing the overly bright colour but without seeing them in person it is impossible to say. Unfortunately, no I haven't seen them in person.

I don't think the settings overpower the pearls due to the vivid blue colour. I think you could be right and they have been dyed but who knows. Let's hope Douglas does come online. I am sure he could tell.

If I get any information on them I will add it.

Thanks, Dawn

They look like baroque akoyas to me, although the size is large. Probably dyed.

Sea of Cortez pearls are rare and only come from one place. It would be highly unusual for someone to have them and not know what they are.

I agree with you that the settings are cute. They almost look like octopus tentacles. :)

Hi there, did you try to shine UV light on them? If they are Cortez they will have reddish-pinkish glow. Pteria Sterna is the only fluorescent oyster and you can tell right away.

Hi, I don't physically have the earrings, just the photos, so can check for fluorescence ... I have check other Sea of Cortez pearls I have so know how brilliantly they display. Impossible to miss but did you know that Tahitian pearls can also show a much milder florescence. I forget who told me but it was someone of this list.

I suppose they could be a large pair of akoya pearls which have the natural blue colour and then it has been inhanced. Pity if that is the case.

Still hoping to hear from Douglas because as has been said he would know.

Apparently they come from estate so in that case it is not unusual for someone to not know the history of the pearls or even much about pearls generally.

Dawn

Back