Bead Bumper Size Recomendations

Jenny

Hi
I'm thinking of making a casual summer necklace and would like to use bead bumpers. I remember reading in a thread about the size ratio. I'm planning to use baroque 8 - 10 mm FWP and 10mm Tahitians. What do you recommend?
Thank you all,

If you mean the silicone bead bumpers made by Beadalon, I use the 2mm ones.

I have just strung a few pieces using the 1.5mm ones and they are tiny. I would definitely use the 2mm ones like Pearldreams. Here is a little helpful hint. I put my bumpers on my cell phone. They were easy to see against the dark screen and easier to pick up. I then put each bumper on the palm of my hand so the hole was facing up and put the needle into the hole while it was still in the palm of my hand.

I do that too-- on the palm of my hand. And I place them on a silicone mat so they don't roll away.

I'm considering a casual necklace as well -- are y'all using bead bumpers instead of knots? Seems like it would be very quick and easy.

I recently purchased an inexpensive multi-quartz necklace (rose, citrine, amethyst, prehnite) just because I wanted the beads. I think it's the first piece of jewelry I selected with the intention to take it apart. Maybe. Not right away.

...are y'all using bead bumpers instead of knots? Seems like it would be very quick and easy.

Not usually, but I did use bead bumpers and 49 ply beading wire, secured with with Scrimps (https://www.beadalon.com/findings/scrimp_findings.asp) when restringing a mixed South Sea/Tahitian necklace that had drill holes that were not all the same size. I used the silver colored 2mm bumpers.

The bumpers keep the wire away from direct contact with the edge of the drill holes, so hopefully the holes won't enlarge further.

Mixed strand restrung, neck shot.jpeg

Mixed SS:Tahitian strand restrung with bead bumpers, 49 ply wire and Scrimps.jpeg

Last edited:
I have just strung a few pieces using the 1.5mm ones and they are tiny. I would definitely use the 2mm ones like Pearldreams. Here is a little helpful hint. I put my bumpers on my cell phone. They were easy to see against the dark screen and easier to pick up. I then put each bumper on the palm of my hand so the hole was facing up and put the needle into the hole while it was still in the palm of my hand.
@Pearl Dream thanks for your tip too. :)

Thanks for this idea. I’m still toying with the design and got the bumper in gray and clear. They are so tiny! I’m mixing Semi-round Tahitian with dainty Keshi (love the texture and free form).
FDCA9D9B-5D54-4964-9309-0B2A51B72232.jpg

Back