Auction wins

CdnYankee

19inchFreshwaterPearl.jpg39inchPearl.jpg

These are two pearl necklaces that I just received from an online auction (I personally know and trust the auctioneer). They both came from an estate sale.

One is a 19" freshwater pearl necklace with a 14k clasp and the other is a 39" (natural?) strand, also with a 14k clasp. The jewellery store I took them to confirmed the gold content of the clasps but could not tell me if the 39" strand was natural or cultured (they did state is was either one or the other - not imitation).

Can anyone help me with whether or not it's cultured or natural?

Thanks!

Cindy (aka CdnYankee)
Ontario, Canada

We need a close-up of a few pearls, preferably on a white paper towel. Do you have a macro setting on your camera? :) From what I can see, the pearls do not look like naturals.

With all the interest in natural pearls and all the info gathered here on PG by now, I've learned one thing - if in doubt, pearls are cultured. I've also learned that natural pearls remotely within economic reach are not round.

Judging from the shape the strand to the right could be akoya. I agree we need better photos, size, any knowledge of age, etc.

- Karin

Back