Are these real??

libralilly

Hi and thank you in advance for your help and I apologize for the huge pictures. I'll start by saying that I'm pearl illiterate. I have a couple pearl necklaces that I inherited (which I'm comparing to), these others that I'll be posting came in with unsorted jewelry that I buy by the pound. It seems (unless it's just me?) that grittiness in my known pearls vary, one of them is very gritty, the other only semi.

This necklace has me stumped, it feels like my "semi-gritty" necklace but it is VERY lightweight- equivalent to a child's toy necklace. These "pearls" are completely uniform, has pearl coating and surface defects like a real pearl and measure approx 7.6mm from hole to hole.

I would love to know 1) Are they real, and 2) If so, what type they might be. If they are, I plan to sell them and would like a fairly accurate description to give to potential buyers.

Thanks again!

040-2.jpg

043-1.jpg

044-2.jpg

064-2.jpg

Additional Info

Additional Info

Forgot to add: the necklace is 19.5" in length, the clasp is unmarked but missing the hook closure. It also appears that the clasp is silver on the outside but looks to be a gold color? on the inside. It is non-magnetic.

Thanks again

My guess is that they are imitation pearls with a plastic bead inside, which would account for their light weight. Sounds like it's got a base metal clasp (silver tone wearing off).

My guess is that they are imitation pearls with a plastic bead inside, which would account for their light weight. Sounds like it's got a base metal clasp (silver tone wearing off).

Like as in they covered the plastic bead with a pearl coating? My original thought was they were plastic; they were thrown in a junk pile for a year until recently I noticed the actual pearl coating so thought I better check. I've made many mistakes in my jewelry selling (selling gold and high cost pieces for next to nothing!) and didn't want this to be another one :)

Thanks

In my very limited experience, based upon the picture, they appear they could be CORO imitation pearls - if my memory serves correctly, they were one of the largest costume jewelry manufacturers from 1900 to 1979 - and had a huge selection of jewelry, including many lines of handmade imitation pearls. The company stamp would have been placed 'hook' portion of the clasp.

They could also be Lotus...but again, just an amateur's opinion.

yes they look like faux pearls to me as well, you can see a lot of peeling.

Unless I have my pearl terminology wrong, they're not peeling- It's more like dents or imperfections in the coating, kind of like if you put your finger in semi-drying glue. I think it's just the photo that makes it appear peeling. I do have tons of glass and plastic pearls which are peeling. Thanks again everybody, I didn't want to junk something that was "real" or sell something as real, that's really fake. Many thanks :)

Those are great photographs. Even though they aren't real pearls, they are interesting. I love old costume jewelry and have never been able to part with my grandmother's trinkets. :cool:

Unless I have my pearl terminology wrong, they're not peeling- It's more like dents or imperfections in the coating, kind of like if you put your finger in semi-drying glue. I think it's just the photo that makes it appear peeling. I do have tons of glass and plastic pearls which are peeling. Thanks again everybody, I didn't want to junk something that was "real" or sell something as real, that's really fake. Many thanks :)

Just in case...I wouldn't junk old imitation pearls - from what I have seen, if you are able to determine the manufacturer, they could still be worth money to vintage collectors.

From the weight description given and the images they seem to be imitation pearls.

Back