Are these Akoya's?

pearlmaid

Hi all, I am new here and have recently purchased this necklace. I have almost no knowledge of pearls and any help will be appreciated.

I recently visited a gem show and there was a booth there for discounted gemstone jewelry, most of them had a GIA Certificate. The lady at the booth told me these were cultured saltwater akoya's. They are 7-7.5 mm, 24 inches with 14k gold clasp. She told me that the retail price would be more than $400. I got them for $125. What's you verdict ? a good deal, my money's worth or duped ? :)

I can add more pictures if you need, just let me know what kind/angle you want.

Thanks so much!!

Attachments

• pearl2.jpg
    pearl2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 36
  • pearl3.jpg
    pearl3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 36
  • pearl1.jpg
    pearl1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 39
I am not sure where to start.
GIA certificates are expensive, so it must be certificates from AIG or AGI or something. The certificates are practically worthless. Used only to scam people who don't know what GIA certification really is. There is no need for it for cultured pearls.

I think you overpaid for the pearls. The ones in the photograph are low luster. Notice how blurry the light spots are? In a high luster photo, it would be much more mirror-like.

Perhaps someone will disagree with me. I hate to just tell people their pearls aren't very good. I'm sorry.

Hi,

In the first photo the pearls look more lustrous, not sure why they look so much duller in photo 2 and 3.

Yes, I think they are akoya. A person just isn't going to get the highest quality akoya for that amount of money.

Did you check your certificate, Caitlin is correct that there are some worthless ones out there?

Some people pay more than $125 for faux pearls and costume jewelry necklaces. Now you have a strand of akoya pearls to wear and enjoy!

Thanks for your input. Please be open, I do not mind :) I was not expecting much. I think I may have caused some confusion about the certificate. There was no certificate with the pearls, just that she was selling lot of stuff with certification and that was a slight factor in my purchasing these pearls.

I think the first photo is better cos the light is coming from behind the camera other pictures have been taken from the side.

"7-7.5 mm 14k Gold AA Grade Saltwater Akoya Pearls, 24 in. Retail: $400" was the description

I am not expecting them to be worth $500 but do you think they are $125 worth or could I have bought something better at the same price?

Oh and also.. these are akoya pearls, not freshwater right?

Attachments

• pearl4.jpg
    pearl4.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Do you feel duped? I wouldn't. Nice price for a nice size of pretty, everyday pearls. Definitely in the wholesale range for akoyas. The average joe will never scrutinize them to know the difference in grade. I think you did a fine job!

24" is a great length and I think it's a good price. The clasp is a better quality than you see on a lot of strands out there, and I think the luster looks good in the last shot. Wear them and love them. In fact, how about a neck shot?

Thanks Caitlin, Pattye, Knotty Panda and Sheryl. I usually do not buy jewelry on an impulse. This was my first impulse purchase of a jewelry that I know nothing about and so I am a bit relieved that I was not duped :). Hopefully I will do better next time with help of this forum and its knowledge base. On other point, I think the angle of shot makes a lot of difference in portraying the luster. I loved the way they came out in the first and the last shot. In the second shot I can see the reflection of the string itself in some of the pearls.. :) Thanks again for all your help.

Back