Another Stick Pin Pearl - Blue Bottomed Basra???

Bodecia

Pearl Designer & Collector
I call this type of pearl a Blue Bottomed Basra. This one I recently bought alone with my Abalone Pearl stick pin. I was very happy when I opened the package to spill these beauties out.

I have another 2 or 3 blue bottomed basras - loose now but were set in an older piece. I rather like the 2 and sometimes 3 tones that I have seen in my little lovelies.

I think some others call similar pearls without the colour but spin like rings at the bottom, Basra Spinners which I have also picked up on as it suits so well.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

But I don't have proof these are Basra aka from Bahrain so would appreciated the opinions of all.

Thank you.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://stores.ebay.com/Dawns-Designer-Collections
Natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 53
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 50
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 48
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 52
Hi Pattye,

No, I am sure it is not a mabe pearl. Flat bottomed or close to it but others I have are virtually flat on both sides, especially when they have this blue on this. I am sure they are natural as they generally have blemishes and warts unlike this one. Although the bottom might be one big wart. Personally I like the warts and blemishes. Gives them plenty of character. Flat bottomed doesn't always equate with mabe.

But I am positive it is not mabe, nor a blister. Just a pearl with a line under which it is blue and then a flat bottom. I would like to know what causes the blue colour and also what causes the blue to come in a straight or almost straight line. Intriguing. Nature is better than we are.

That one is app. 7mm plus in diam x app. 8mm deep. Measurements by eye only. :) That is one odd shaped pearl. I love it.

Dawn - Bodecia

Color looks much like untreated Akoyas, and it does fall into that size range of Akoyas, too. I love the character pearls like this one also! It is difficult to see the texture of the pearl's bottom. South Sea pearls also come in blue silver. Are there readable markings on the shank that might help determine origin? Would love to see photos of your other similar pearls.

I'm reminded that what "we" generally see is the range of marketable pearls, and not the anomalies.

Last edited:
I love that pearl! And the setting- especially if the pin were rebent to make it into a ring! It does look like a natural akoya color, but the shape is too weird for a mabe. Maybe its a tall button. That looks like nacre on the bottom. Can you shoot that view some more?

What does it say on the stamp?

Pretty! I'd be careful about selling any pearls as Basra pearls without some kind of certification. Interesting color banding. I have seen something like that on South Sea pearls. :cool:

Pattye, Caitlin,

It is flat bottomed and so are the others I have. I need to take some photos of those. They are flat both sides. I love the colour banding. One the others I have it is not and clean cut but very much there.

GemGeek,

My nick-name for this type of pearl is a basra blue bottom as others have nick names for pearls. I have seen here similar to these but without the blue referred to as basra spinners and those suit the name given with rings near their flat bottoms.

I have seen blue on South Sea Pearls too so perhaps these are Antique :) South Sea Pearls. I must check the size of my largest one with the flat bottom. I think the largest one I have must be about 8 or 9 mm wide. But that for another night when I have more time for photos.

Regardless I have no intention of selling my beautiful blue bottomed pearl.

Dawn - Bodecia

Back