Another lurker coming out of the shadows

Maybe Roy was just testing us? Maybe he already knows the quality of the items he showed here, and wanted to see if we knew our stuff~

maybe, but there isn't an excuse for that though on a forum which is educational, is there? I am sure he knows what he has there, but I don't think the motives are so altruistic.

I am just so delighted whoever did that did that whoever it was and whatever the motive. This thread is really great and I love it when people show us stuff and ask us to guess, anyway.

Often, the most interesting part of visiting everyday is looking at pearls and forming opinions- as we are asked to do! We all have improved so much, just from looking at photos, and of course we see pearls being worn, everywhere.

I still haven't taken the new GIA course and I do not need the title it bestows, but sometimes I wonder if I could just test out of the class based on what I have learned here, from Jeremy, and a few books I have read and even studied. LOL, I would bet I could!

"You can have anything you want, at Alice's restaurant" and we are the Alice's Restaurant of Pearls. Luv ya Pearl-Guide + Jeremy!

Bodecia – Thanks for the comments on the pictures, I used the advice found on this forum and it worked out pretty well. I still can’t seem to get a good picture of the white pearls on a white background. I think I will try a colored background next. I will also try using my good camera rather than the point-and-shoot that I have with me.

KarinK & Nerida – I do not sell pearls. I am buying a few pieces for my family and a few friends. Yes, I would trust the lab analysis more than the forum. This should be understandable since you have only been able to see a few pictures that are low resolution. It would be different if you could examine them in person.

Pearlscence & Nerida & Caitlin – After I give the pearls to my wife (special occasion) I will post pictures of the full set. I live in eastern Virginia.

Pattye – I purchased the pearls in person and yes, I could get a refund if desired. I will know if I paid too much when I give the pearls to the person that I bought them for and see their reaction. Until then, I am happy with the amount that I paid.

Caitlin – It’s nice to know that I did not overpay for the peach rice pearls or the black pearls.

Pattye – No, my intention was not to test you but only to share what I have purchased as others have done. However, it is interesting (educational and entertaining) to see the ‘group think’ process. Of particular interest is the devolution of the SSG pearls from “The GSS are gorgeous” to “apparent good quality” to “a bit too good, too round, flawless and matched” to “shell pearls or freshwater peals”

Nerida – I think I know what I have. There is an overwhelming consensus from the forum that I am wrong. As I said earlier in this post, I will post more after I give the pearls to my wife (I hope she will like them). In the meantime I will be out of touch since I won’t have internet access.

I look forward to reading more on this forum when I return. I notice that turnaround times at the New York GIA lab is 12-14 days so maybe I will have something more definitive to post then. Finally, please believe that this is not sarcasm; I appreciate the opinions and advice expressed and think that this is a great educational forum.

Roy

Bodecia – Thanks for the comments on the pictures, I used the advice found on this forum and it worked out pretty well. I still can’t seem to get a good picture of the white pearls on a white background. I think I will try a colored background next. I will also try using my good camera rather than the point-and-shoot that I have with me.

KarinK & Nerida – I do not sell pearls. I am buying a few pieces for my family and a few friends. Yes, I would trust the lab analysis more than the forum. This should be understandable since you have only been able to see a few pictures that are low resolution. It would be different if you could examine them in person.

Pearlscence & Nerida & Caitlin – After I give the pearls to my wife (special occasion) I will post pictures of the full set. I live in eastern Virginia.

Pattye – I purchased the pearls in person and yes, I could get a refund if desired. I will know if I paid too much when I give the pearls to the person that I bought them for and see their reaction. Until then, I am happy with the amount that I paid.

Caitlin – It’s nice to know that I did not overpay for the peach rice pearls or the black pearls.

Pattye – No, my intention was not to test you but only to share what I have purchased as others have done. However, it is interesting (educational and entertaining) to see the ‘group think’ process. Of particular interest is the devolution of the SSG pearls from “The GSS are gorgeous” to “apparent good quality” to “a bit too good, too round, flawless and matched” to “shell pearls or freshwater peals”

Nerida – I think I know what I have. There is an overwhelming consensus from the forum that I am wrong. As I said earlier in this post, I will post more after I give the pearls to my wife (I hope she will like them). In the meantime I will be out of touch since I won’t have internet access.

I look forward to reading more on this forum when I return. I notice that turnaround times at the New York GIA lab is 12-14 days so maybe I will have something more definitive to post then. Finally, please believe that this is not sarcasm; I appreciate the opinions and advice expressed and think that this is a great educational forum.

Roy

Okay, normally I would just let this one die off without commenting (especially since I am NOT one of the experts on here) but....... I just HAD to say it:

"Yes, I would trust the lab analysis more than the forum. This should be understandable since you have only been able to see a few pictures that are low resolution. It would be different if you could examine them in person." Um, NO, no it wouldn't.......

(and they were reacting to the SECOND photo of the golden south seas pearls you posted; the close-up of the strands - the one that was OBVIOUSLY from the sellers website. They were saying that THEY looked perfect etc. NOT the earrings.).

(hope this isn't FLAMING..... if it is - I'll delete it........)

- Jodie -

Hi Roy,

I have to agree that the setting for the golden SSP does not look like gold. I didn't notice that at first. The ring in the leverback part is not soldered, and I agree that it looks like the gold coating is wearing off. I do not know enough to judge the two pearls. I guess it is possible to buy two perfect SSP and set them yourself with gold filled findings.

I must say, having read most of the old threads on this forum, that the experts here (of which I am not one) almost always turn out to be right, their opinion being based on photos of lesser quality than yours. There have been many threads where the initial poster had returned with the answer. It should be interesting what the GIA lab says.

I think we all agree that all pearls have their own beauty. The discussion here is about disclosure of treatment and pearl type and not paying more for pearls than what they are worth. We would love to see copies of the certificates when you get them, so we all can learn even more.

- Karin

Yes, I would trust the lab analysis more than the forum. This should be understandable since you have only been able to see a few pictures that are low resolution. It would be different if you could examine them in person.

I think the issue of whether or not the golds are real has come from the other pieces. When it became clear that the seller lied to you about the dyed pearls and lied about the natural (not cultured) part about the golds, it makes everything suspect. Especially considering how far-fetched the seller's stories are.

The black pearls, as described to you (natural color, brackish water), don't exist. The only shells that produce pearls in natural dark colors (in any relative frequency) are the Pinctada margaritafera, the Pinctada mazatlanica and the Pteria sterna. All three of these shells live in saltwater environments and no farms exist in estuaries. Further, the black pearls look nothing like pearls from any of those shells. They are very standard, dyed freshwater pearls from China - they are instantly recognizable.

What you are dealing with now is the very reason this forum came into being. There was no real pearl information available online and most jewelers knew little about pearls as well. So they would often either pass on incorrect learned information or make things up. This forum now has the world's top pearl experts within the membership, including dealers, wholesalers, pearl farmers, pearl processors, etc.

Please do send the pearls to GIA. Might I suggest sending a photo first though? They will tell you the same thing we've told you, and they might not charge you for it. But when you finally do have confirmation, please go back to the jeweler and confront him. Ask him why he felt it was necessary to lie to you. Also, send him a link to this thread. I doubt he will join in the discussion, but at least he will learn that lying to cuctomers is not as easy to get away with as he believed.

Good lord, this is an amazing thread. Thank you all the pearl experts for weighing in. Module 1A1 requisite reading for all newbies.

As for ZE, her delusions and lies, I feel for you Caitlin. I might have well fallen hook, line and sinker. Now I feel sick in my stomach...

Hi Roy
I woke up thinking about you.

Do you have any idea of what certifications costs? One pearl costs more to look at and examine with their super-expensive equipment than the whole peach rice pearl necklace or the black necklace. Certification is serious stuff, meant for natural pearls. Most people admit it when they sell cultured pearls, so there is no reason to certify. There is a little scheme to certify SS keshis as naturals and the GIA gets them as naturals, then determines they are not, but are keshis. that is what certification is for. This lab has a turn around time and is used by serious professionals, mostly.

On the one hand, you are buying inexpensive freshwater pearls, and paying in the correct price range; on the other you want to believe your vendor. The only reason to certify would be to prove him a liar. and we already did that.

It may be a good idea to certify if you have an old natural necklace with large pearls. Certification ups the value. But it is extravagant beyond measure to pay for getting freshwater pearls certified as such. Even the most expensive cultured freshwaters are pointless to certify.

Pearls 101 is learning what a freshwater pearls looks like and that is what you have.

Spend the money to take the GIA Pearls course and learn for yourself how to recognize pearls and what they are. I feel frustrated because we really are the experts and you do not need to pay for certification. 1/2 the people who answered your question are GIA pearl graduates! We just don't have the fancy equipment the lab has, and believe me, you do not need it.

Why not take the $100's of dollars certification costs and buy a fine pearl necklace from an upstanding vendor?

Good luck. I said my piece. I feel frustrated you don't believe us. Learn your lesson for free- or go ahead and pay to get the same answer.

Last edited:
Roy, I thank you for your comments.

I did say that if the GSS were authentic they had amazing lustre and surface quality and excellent matching. My comments stand. I hope your wife loves them! In a grainy photograph, the differences between perfect pearls and shell based pearls are indistinguishable, so if they are real you do have an amazing strand. As Jeremy said, the other stories about the brackish water would make me more skeptical than usual.
Regarding the black pearls - Jeremy's comments say it all - we really generally do know our stuff here.

I would confer with the others about doing the GIA course if you are enjoying pearls and want to improve your knowledge. It is an excellent course, well organized, and informative.

Good luck with the process and please let us know how it works out!

I'll repeat,if you say where you are in the USA there may be an experienced guide member who would be willing to have a quick and non-authoritative look at the pearls for you, before you go to huge expense of lab examination.
I do take your point about how the mood and opinion of the thread changed from wow to pow - perhaps a lesson for all to temper excitement a little?

Thank you Roy for sharing the pictures, I've really enjoyed this thread so far. Even though I'm selling pearl jewelries occasionally but I'm still learning about pearls and this forum has helped me a lot. I tried to analyze by looking at the pictures posted here and I'm glad that most of my guesses were confirmed by the forum experts.

Don't know if Roy would take the pearls for lab test, but I'm looking forward to the result.

(Sorry for my english, I'm still learning the language)

I've been hovering over these postings for a while holding my tongue, but I have to comment. When I first saw the pearls I had my doubts (although Roy was very clear about the low priced freshwaters being, well, low priced). The goldens looked too good to be true, and the pearls on the earrings appear awfully small for gss. What I see that happens on PG a lot is that the people here are really nice. When someone posts pictures, the PGers' try to be informative and supportive and positive. It's hard to begin a conversation by saying "the emperor has no clothes." The conflict comes from someone insisting that some of the best people out there are wrong, as well as the pearl police in all of us that want the information to be correct. It's one thing to love your pearl acquisition no matter what the quality (I love my flawed pearls), but it's another thing to believe you own something that you don't, especially if you've paid for the lie. My friend with the Macy's pearls was unhappy with me, not Macy's after I told her the truth, but I felt like she needed to know, and she'd asked me to do some work with them, so at that point I felt like the door was open. When people come on to the forum and show their stuff, they either need to say "thank you" for the info, or be prepared for the naked truth. I have learned most of what I know about pearls and the industry from this forum and the subsequent research and experiences. I am not an expert but I am educated and fairly experienced in a certain areas. If only everyone buying and selling was.

Thanks Sheryl!
That is you at your best!

I am one of the more blunt people here, but I usually like to ease into telling people they believe a lie by exploring their ideas a bit. It is hard for the person thus told, if they are attached to the false idea they had. As I have been attached to more than one False Idea about pearls, which I hated to give up, I know what it feels like. When all is said and done, I prefer the blunt truth presented to me- as long as it IS true!

beautifully put, Sheryl. We all acknowledge that we can be wrong, so try to stay on the positive - particularly as we all do love pearls! It is a hard truth to tell someone who has come to you with a precious purchase or inheritance that their pearls are something other than how they were presented. Conversely, as this is an educational forum, it is important for the truth to be revealed so that others do not fall into similar traps.
The brackish water story is a new trap... but I am more than happy to be wrong on the GSS and look forward to the lab results. It just adds to the education of other lurkers, newbies, and fellow pearl people!

I spent an hour going over this thread last night and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Had quite a laugh at times. Thanks everyone.
Roy, It's a real hard thing to come to grips with in life mate, but, when you been ripped off you just gotta come to grips with whats happened. I think enough has been said so I'll leave it at that.
I really did have a few laughs.

Back