Akoyas?

lovetahitians

Hi everyone. After lurking forever, and soaking in everything I could about pearls (thank you everyone), I took the plunge last year and bought my first tahitian baroque strand and silver/blue akoyas from PP.
So again, thanks for all your knowledge:)

Recently, I cam across an estate pearl necklace. The seller describes it as: "AAA quality 8mm Japanese pearl choker, 15 1/2"

I'm guessing they mean "akoya" when they say japanese? I did email them but no response yet.

Here's 2 pictures, I've noticed you guys can usually tell akoya's from freshwater pearls and am wondering what you think.

Attachments

• dsc_00843.jpg
    dsc_00843.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 50
  • dsc_007510.jpg
    dsc_007510.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 46
Hi Lovetahitians,

Welcome!

If it is the listing at doverjewelry online that you are referring to, I would want to know:

1. What is the return policy.
2. They should reply to your inquiry.
3. The necklace is not described very well, they do not explain what AAA means. This possibly means the appraisal was not done by someone knowledgeable about pearls, because much of an accurate description could come directly from the written appraisal.
4. No info about body color and overtones. Nothing specific about nacre quality, which is so important when investing in akoyas.

Just my 2c-----

Hi Pattye-
Thank you for the welcome.
The listing is DoverJewelry!! I've heard good things about them so thought maybe I could chance it.

But you're right, their return policy isn't mentioned anywhere. I would need to know it first, and the description doesn't tell you much. Will ask for more info.

Still waiting for a response.

something very funny going on with those pics - doesn't mean the pearls are going to be bad, just means they got carried away in photoshop. I'd get some more information before moving forward though.

Back