Akoya vs. Freshwater

Steamboat

Hi,

I'm new to shopping for pearls. I think I'd like to get my SO a set for her 30th. I was looking at these on PearlParadise.com but didn't see anything regarding luster and length of the necklace which makes me a little skeptical.

They're on the small side but she's 5' 2" 115 lbs. so I don't think they will look "too" small but they probably won't jump out either. I would really like to get earrings and a bracelet, too. That's what attracted me to this bundle. Selecting 18" AA+ for the necklace brings it up to $780. I'd obviously like to get the best bang for the buck but I don't seem myself spending much more as we're saving for a wedding. I love to hear any opinions. Thanks.

Full set of white akoya pearls

Get the 7.5mm to 8mm Freshadama set and save yourself over 200 USD, arguably the best CFWP one can buy, IMHO.

DK :)

The ad from Pearl Paradise says it is 16-18". AA+ means the luster is good, though may be a bit off round, no one will ever notice except pearl freaks. The AAA will be close to perfect with better luster.

To save money and still get the bast bang for your buck, consider a freshadama, the best AAA quality of Freshwater pearls. You can get 7.5-8mm for $500 for the set. Bigger pearls less money. White freshadama pearl set

If you get the same size as the akoya, you will save even more. Personally, I love the freshadamas. The difference in luster between a AA+ akoyas and a AAA cherry picked freshadama is negligible, or even better.

Hi dkan.

That is two of us independently recommending the Freshies! She posted while I was still writing!

Let us know how yuor thinking process goes.

Waves at Caitlin!

DK :D

I'm going to chime in and suggest you get the Freshadamas. I have a strand and find them very lustrous.

Here is a photo of my strand of Freshadamas so you can get an idea of their luster. Indoors, natural light, no photoshopping. It's 7-8mm, 18":

Here is more from Pearl Paradise's website about what the different pearl grades mean--

Understanding Pearl Grades

Hi Steamboat, lucky girl - a sweet and generous BF you are! If you look in the lower part of Pearl Paradise's page you'll see a couple of tabs/bars that you can hit for the info you're after.

One tab says options, the other is about necklace length. When you fill in your choices the site adjusts the price. You've probably already found these tabs but just thought I'd point you to them.

I hope you keep us posted!

Last edited:
When I have trouble deciding I ask Pearl Paradise for comparison glamor shots side by side in one photo. Very helpful tool as Angela takes wonderful photos.

Thank you for all the great info. I was leaning toward salt water just because I believe my grandmother's were saltwater. I did read that the Akoya's don't last as long as the fresh water pearls. How does that happen? Do they get scratched/scuffed and lose their luster? Maybe start to pit or peel? I always assumed all pearls last forever?

Caitlin,
Getting the top notch Freshadama's for $200 less is very justifiable. I think I would do that, however, they are out of stock. I suppose I could call and see when they will be available. But, it's only 2 weeks away from her birthday. I won't be able to wait much longer.

OOps! Sorry. Please call them ASAP, they are wonderful on the phone and will work with you. They use Fed ex and deliveries arrive quickly.

Thank you for all the great info. I was leaning toward salt water just because I believe my grandmother's were saltwater. I did read that the Akoya's don't last as long as the fresh water pearls. How does that happen? Do they get scratched/scuffed and lose their luster? Maybe start to pit or peel? I always assumed all pearls last forever?...

Any pearls can lose their luster if exposed to substances that damage the surface-- perfume, hair spray, even sweat. They need proper care. Pearls should be put on last, after makeup, perfume and hair products. Wipe them clean after wearing with a clean soft cloth (PP sends one with the order) and occasionally it is good to dampen the cloth slightly before wiping them, to remove sweat and skin oils, which are acidic.

I've read that the surface of Akoyas is very slightly more resistant to scratches as they form in cooler waters, and the nacre is tighter. They have a more metallic luster-- more so as the quality increases. In lower grades of Akoyas, the luster will be more like top quality freshwaters. I took my Freshadamas to a higher end store and laid them side by side with Mikimoto Akoyas. My Freshadamas were comparable in luster with the A1 grade of Mikis. Higher grades of Akoyas would have a more metallic luster than the Freshadamas.

Some people like that more metallic look, but it comes with a price tag-- Akoya pearls are basically a very thin layer of nacre over a large bead. You are getting about 0.4 mm of nacre for the high quality ones, thinner nacre for the less expensive ones. That isn't much-- have you looked at a mm on a ruler lately? Akoyas with thinner nacre are less likely than pearls that are solid nacre (like the freshwaters) to last long enough to be passed on to the next generation if worn often. Nacre does wear thin, over time, on the part of the pearls that is in contact with the skin.

Decades ago, Akoya oysters were left in the water several years to lay down a thick layer of nacre, but nowadays they are pulled out faster. The result can't help being less durable.

Of course, if she doesn't wear them often, they will last longer, but pearls are meant to be worn, not stored.

Really you need to ask yourself, is she much of a pearl enthusiast? Would she prefer something like her grandmother had, to be worn only occasionally, or does she love pearls and plan to wear them often? If the former, go with Akoyas; if the latter, go with freshwaters. Just my opinion.

Thank you so much for the info. I'm leaning towards this set, AAA Akoyas with 18 inch necklace, for $1,108: http://www.pearlparadise.com/Full-Set-of-7075-mm-White-Akoya-Pearls111.aspx

Or save about $500 and get the Freshadama set for $512: http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Set747.aspx

It's a tough choice. Freshadama seems to be the practical route and she could wear them more often. Akoya seems more prestige and traditional. I know she's always wanted Mikimoto pearls but realizes they're extremely expensive. I thought the Akoyas would be a nice substitute. Now, I'm hearing about Freshadama and it's really throwing a wrench into the decision!

If you go for akoya and not mikimoto brand then it might feel like nearly but not quite
freshwater are different pearls
psychology?

Mikimoto is just a brand, not a quality. There are lower end Mikimotos and upper end Mikimotos. You'd be paying for the name.

Do you think the name is so very important to her? If so, maybe nothing else will do.

Or do you think she just wants high quality and assumes that to get that, she has to get Mikimoto? This is just incorrect.

Here's a thought: what about Freshadamas now, and Akoyas (Miki or otherwise) for a future anniversary? I hope her wedding set won't be the last pearls she receives! :D

Back