Akoya prices

Katbran

First of all thanks for all the wonderful information supplied through this Forum! I am a complete novice when it comes to pearls and have just begun to 'dabble'..Since becoming a pearl convert over the past three months I've been scouring the internet for strands and prices. My question is this...if a supplier says that a strand is Akoya..is there some proof/certification that should be offered or is it just by examination that a strand is determined to be genuine? Thanks very much for all of your pearl wisdom!:)

Hi Katbran,

Welcome to P-G!

Your question is not an easy one to answer, and these are just my thoughts on the subject-------------

Akoya pearls are some of the most challenging to evaluate as to quality vs cost. Akoya are more expensive to start with, being cultured in the small akoya oyster, which cannot produce the multiple 24-30 pearls a freshwater mussel can produce. Thickness of nacre is difficult to evaluate, but is all important, because thin nacre can wear down to the mother of pearl bead underneath fairly quickly.

Some unscrupulous "suppliers" know a strand labeled "akoya" may infer to the consumer a higher quality pearl, i.e., akoya=Japanese pearls=Mikimoto.

Hanadama certificates issued by the Japanese govt describe the akoya pearl strand meeting the highest standards. Hopefully you have read that section here.
Although these strands run in the thousands, one is assured that nacre depth has been evaluated by x-ray, the only truly accurate measure.

Some sellers offer with your pearl purchase an appraisal certificate giving the retail replacement value (for insurance purposes). Or you may just receive an invoice that might say "akoya necklace" or something like that.

Akoya pearls are recognizable as one becomes more familiar by looking at and handling pearls. They have characteristic blemishes, fall into a certain size range, nacre has a certain sheen--all subtle ways to differentiate from freshwater pearls.

Most important to purchase from a trusted supplier, with a generous return policy, especially when buying on the internet. A number of the online sellers who post here, offer Akoyas, including Hanadama. Buy the best you can afford!

Vintage akoya necklaces are widely sold on the internet, with a wide range of prices; it is impossible to evaluate the quality just from photos, or what wear damage might be present. One can pay anywhere from hundreds to thousands.

Top quality freshwater pearls have similar luster to akoya, and sell for less when comparing same size strands.

There is nothing like seeing pearls in person and trying them on-------if you have more specific questions, please do ask!

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses Pattye and Jeremy. I have read up on the forums for the past few months before I joined in January. ( Unlike most people here I am not either running a business or planning to ...I have no artistic talent and buy my necklaces from the wonderful Cath Cardellini in Darwin. I leave it up to her to do the fancy stuff :) I just wasn't sure if Akoya pearls had some sort of certification that came with them from the farms. Since legitimacy seems to depend on the supplier's honesty I think I'll give this batch a miss..they are far too much to risk on something sight unseen and from an untested relationship. So again, thanks very much. Now on another subject...I'm searching for strands of metallic pearls, white as well as colors. Do I understand that you sell these as unfinished strands?
Thanks Kathleen

Last edited:
Hello, Kathleen and welcome! I hope you'll share photos of your finds; they're pearl-nip to us. I especially love to drool over the matallics and freshwaters. Cath has a marvelously photographed website, hasn't she?

Hi Lisa,
Cath is great..we email often...I'm down in the desert state of South Australia and she's up in the very wet (at the moment) north around Darwin. She's great fun and I love her designs. Bought a couple of the pearl and keshi combo and then had her make me up a 5 strands of mixed shapes with an apricot theme. I'm after some purples/lavenders now...and some metallics... I love the freshwaters...I was only asking about the Akoya as a wholesaler I found gave me prices and I wasnt sure if there was some way to guarantee what you were getting..certificates or w/e..but that's been answered for me..
If I can sort out how to do the photos..I will do so.. :)

Back