Akoya lovers ... your thoughts?

Can you please take a second picture with the smaller pearls behind the larger ones. The reflection of the smaller pearls which can be seen in the larger stand gives an possible unfair impression that the larger strand has more luster. Reversed, the smaller strand may prove to have as much or more luster than the larger strand [see second picture at post #11] (reflection seems about the same for both strands). That said, the larger strand has a stronger rose overtone--which I personally like. As to the mystery, well I am still working on that one.

Good question.

I've just requested a picture of the smaller strand behind the big strand. It won't be quite as tight as the original because the larger strand would hide most of the smaller strand, but I'll see how it turns out.

The larger strand obviously has a sharper reflection and cleaner surface. Um...are they nucleated with another pearl?

Pearl Dreams,

No, there isn't any difference in the nucleus. I agree that one of the strands is strikingly better than the other.

Est190,

Is this what you meant?

Attachments

• Star2

Star of Hope as viewed from it's underside
    Star2 Star of Hope as viewed from it's underside
    20.4 KB · Views: 50
Hmm...maybe the larger strand is not from Japan...and perhaps this someone showing how much they've improved their technique?

As a complete novice to the processes that these pearls may have undergone, I would guess that the large pearl strand has had an additional step added to the process to shine/polish the pearl, or an additional coating.

The pink of the pearls is very intense. To me this suggests a chemical enhancement of some sort.

Are they at similar price points, adjusting for size of course?

I also see the larger pearl strand has superior luster/sharper reflection of light and cleaner surface. I see a strong pink overtone and slight green overtone? Furthermore, I dont know if it makes a difference, but this strand is not knoted. Would this strand happen to be the famous 'natural color' hanadama's? Ok, what if we win the strand with the right guess (hehe)! Can't wait to have the mistery solved...

As a complete novice to the processes that these pearls may have undergone, I would guess that the large pearl strand has had an additional step added to the process to shine/polish the pearl, or an additional coating.

The pink of the pearls is very intense. To me this suggests a chemical enhancement of some sort.

Are they at similar price points, adjusting for size of course?

Both strands are from Japan and both have been subjected to the same bleaching and pinking treatment - the larger strand isn't a natural white. The smaller strand originally had a slight green overtone (and still maintains a slight green). Even adjusting for size, there is tremendous difference in value and cost.

Yes Jeremy that's exactly what I wanted to see. I think some of us may be significantly underestimating the value of the smaller strand. The bigger strand has a pink overtone and we are used to seeing that and it attracts our eye, but the small strand is very attractive and as strong luster. That said, my bet/guess is that the smaller strand is the more valuable.

Yes Jeremy that's exactly what I wanted to. I think some of us may be significantly underestimating the value of the smaller strand. The bigger strand has more overtone and we are used to seeing that and it's attracts our eye, but the small strand is very attractive and as strong luster to my eye. I see what could be a blemish on the first pearl from the left on the small strand, but that could just be a reflection. My bet is that the smaller strand is the more valuable.

No, that's not the case. The larger strand has a much, much sharper luster. AmC nailed it on an earlier post. One is a top quality strand and one is more commercial. Luster is easiest to judge by reflection and the sharpness of the corners and sides of the light reflection.

I was going for the long shot!! :)

Lol, you should have had a leg up in this contest.

The reason I asked for opinions is because they are supposedly both hanadama akoya strands. According to the certificate that came with the smaller strand stated that the strand exceeded the minimum quality standards for hanadama and the larger strand met the minimum requirements according to its certificate. The smaller (6.5-7 mm strand) came from another online company offering hanadama strands, which was just brought into our offices this week. We don't carry hanadama this small, so we shot it against a slightly larger, yet lower quality (according to the certificate) strand.

I am concerned, however, that the strand does not exactly match the certificate that was supplied with it. I am going to Japan in May for two weeks and the strand and the certificate are coming with me.

We'll be very interested to read the outcome of this, Jeremy. I wonder what happened to the strand that the certificate was intended for, if there was a mix-up?

I am looking forward to hearing what happens. You know my views on the subject.. Do we have to wait until May? Why not send it in now without for certification and see if the report come back with a vastly different result. :) A little difference wouldn't mean much but I'd it ad a .5mm nacre thickness in the cert and comes back the second time with a .35, that's an issue with a number of potential causes.

I've already called and spoken to them. It isn't going to be easy unless I go myself. I'm not taking a chance on this. Hisano and I are going in May (for our Japanese wedding) and we'll spend a little extra time in Tokyo. I am going to try to meet with an examiner and grade the strand against the master set myself.

The nacre is not what is different about the certificate. It doesn't match. The certificate is completely in Japanese as well, and is two versions older than the current certificate.

Back