Akoya circle pearls?

Yes, definitely cultured Chinese freshwater pearls. Akoya pearls do not circle like this. South Sea pearls can circle in a similar way, but the overall look is different.
Hi thank you so much for your time
In responding.
Here's one that makes me laugh: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394587225403?hash=item5bdf3b3d3b:g:9L0AAOSwo6lWQgdf&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA8JOlsvfl5fHah4mvkYVV9U87YrMVOmzNkaxL4Gw3rOrJ7Hg7vu7E3+8hiwg9Fh13eB7TVoVc8GwTsfSSAV3cYi9F9wPUMp2O9VXJ05+6uzo+MbxgCocOYOxHVr78vSmmQbr4EkwM1xLvzgy1m2g2JQfaENDCa2FppNycmTMlYeYh/tTj+RcHaRaEaZ2r6nBUdgx3dnsDy938DSkGXvWg/yd01F4KR+tN4cy1J/eL5D6P6OkYKYW1Zz+KQpsYPvvPEOiWrK7DSfuvMHqdORrc2KQbftwiDXb/Kr+Pgw8BS6QSI2nC2mFgh2hKL7qsCAg8wA==|tkp:Bk9SR67fgNb5YQ

This very photo has been used over and over, by multiple Chinese sellers. Sometimes they list them as baroque SS, sometimes baroque akoya (as in this listing). The ringed FWP from which I made my necklace extender were from a listing using this very photo.
Scams abound.

Scroll down from this listing and you'll see even more listings using the same photo!
Some of the listings on eBay are repulsive. It’s sad, really.

It may also be that circles simply don't get to market. I can remember a few years ago whView attachment 463798en no-one admitted to coloured akoya pearls. Now we fight over them!
These were fresh that day when I took this and I believe I can see faint circles on two at least = plus some really knobbly 'rosebud' granulateds.

View attachment 463799This is one days output from a Vietnam farm I was at-we'll never see many of these pearls, more's the pity. Japanese akoya growers are still pretty much operating in C19 when it comes to wanting only white and round and in all their business attitudes. I wasn't allowed to select...boo.
OMG THESE ARE SO BEAUTIFUL 😍

O
This is a photo that an Australian friend sent me quite some time ago! These are Australian Akoya pearls.
Please notice the many imperfections in the pearls...they are pretty! But I believe I see concentric rings in at least a few...

View attachment 463795
Oh wow okay, circle akoyas are much more beautiful, I see. I did search the internet and couldn’t find a single thing. Thank you soooooo much.

Courses and book learning only go so far; some things are only learned through experience, and over time. This is true in many fields.

Do this: go on eBay, type in a search for "baroque south sea pearls" and see how many of these ringed FWP come up! Also ripple FWP and flameball. White, black, and yellow.

Mostly from China, but not always. Here's one from a USA seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/166019908959?hash=item26a78ec55f:g:4PgAAOSwX-lkL39O&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA8BfdqCK4pfIaVF47Quwwp/ubCj5qZJBYmVUdIZjY0p+Lp2IP6X0c+IjqkXw8vbzNUSrY+g5OGJvQLSuCu4/oo3DMcZaI3kCbGfzY8Nuw4eMaNFEc653QdL+o98lSd93Wnx37daqR743PuYLL2um60qIy2ZLDs+BhQQEszqB3TbTBjuZ9df0DV6/Zy8344sAjYDbdlNQzCFboyfnQJyJ+jcNYI/18kYoDH6Tn+OO4zhAt2EpNYTHgouGALAdDcpBop69df0OEPmHAbWKlk/akKO7lcvDH699stJyRG9q/qOa44guYcTfigBpqs3NW6bhDGw==|tkp:Bk9SR7qx49X5YQ
Those look identical to the pearls I have lol. I’m sorry for being stubborn but I appreciate everyone’s time! You all are amazing

This thread became quite interesting!
A debate...these are healthy because we LEARN MORE.
I do have to say this: back in the mid 1990's when I started pearl farming...well, we where trying to LEARN about the many ways to produce cultured pearls (and how not to!) and we were harvesting pearls after just 3 months of culture. This is what you can definitively call "thin nacred" (0.1 or 0.2 mm) in a way you could SEE the bead underneath and we still had several circled pearls. The rings were not thick of course but you could see and say: It's a circlé pearl!
I do believe Akoya can produce circled pearls BUT since Akoya pearl technicians have become quite proficient in their Art, this is not something you would see today. Many Circled pearls are caused by imperfections in the pearl sac, organic matter and even small infections. By having good mantle selection, using antibiotics (biocoated nuclei) and grafting at the appropiate moment you can reduce cirlced pearls to a bare minimum.
The better you become at grafting pearls, less circled pearls will be produced. We saw this at the farm in Mexico...every year, less and less baroques, less and less circled, less and less knobs.
Akoya technicians and very good! They get what they want: round, luminous and clean pearls,
Thank you so so much for your time in explaining this to me. I think circle pearls are ugly to be quite honest. Wow I really got shown a lesson here, it was quite humbling.

I also find some circled pearls unattractive, especially if the circles cover too much of the surface of the pearl. But others are quite lovely to me.
When they are Tahitians they can be very colorful.

I also find some circled pearls unattractive, especially if the circles cover too much of the surface of the pearl. But others are quite lovely to me.
When they are Tahitians they can be very colorful.
Most of what I’ve seen is chalky, do you know why? I mean with the circle pearls

Many Circled pearls are caused by imperfections in the pearl sac, organic matter and even small infections.
All indeed among factors which cause acute partial prolapse and subsequent regeneration of the pearl sac giving rise to a high rate of single circles. Chronic or recurring prolapses may cause multiple circles. In fact, healthy over-growth rates which cause pearls to form too quickly may prolapse the micro thin sac or erupt the pearl entirely.

The OP has overlooked the absence of shell bead nuclei.

These are freshwater pearls.

Last edited:
Most of what I’ve seen is chalky, do you know why? I mean with the circle pearls
Low quality freshwater pearls are chalky. Low quality akoya pearls are chalky. All the freshwater pearls I've bought recently have been incredibly lustrous. Example
IMG_1029.jpeg

Because they are very low quality and they have no luster as well as no smoothness. Poor things.
Yes poor things. I appreciate all the input everyone. Very very valuable information you’ve shared so freely. ⭐

All indeed among factors which cause acute partial prolapse and subsequent regeneration of the pearl sac giving rise to a high rate of single circles. Chronic or recurring prolapses may cause multiple circles. In fact, healthy over-growth rates which cause pearls to form too quickly may prolapse the micro thin sac or erupt the pearl entirely.

The OP has overlooked the absence of shell bead nuclei.

These are freshwater pearls.
After seeing the photos of Akoya Circle pearls someone shared on this post I got put down in my chair LOL. I’m very aware these are FW, thanks to you all. 😊

When talking of circled or circlé pearls...I believe they are unique and beautiful. There are some AMAZING ones out there that make you want to catch your breath: all those colorful rings! Especially in Fiji, Tahitian and Cortez pearls. And I feel these pearls also lend themselves to be used more easily on Men.
Anyway, want to share this photo of this very special circled pearl we harvested some 6 years ago. It has circles on two axis...which is a rarity. I believe the pearl oyster that produced it probably suffered some shock was violently tossed (maybe during a storm) and the pearl -that had been spinning in one axis inside the pearl sac- was moved or dislodged from spinning in that direction, so it started with the second axis...isn't it cute???
Perla Anillada Especial (9).JPG

When talking of circled or circlé pearls...I believe they are unique and beautiful. There are some AMAZING ones out there that make you want to catch your breath: all those colorful rings! Especially in Fiji, Tahitian and Cortez pearls. And I feel these pearls also lend themselves to be used more easily on Men.
Anyway, want to share this photo of this very special circled pearl we harvested some 6 years ago. It has circles on two axis...which is a rarity. I believe the pearl oyster that produced it probably suffered some shock was violently tossed (maybe during a storm) and the pearl -that had been spinning in one axis inside the pearl sac- was moved or dislodged from spinning in that direction, so it started with the second axis...isn't it cute???
View attachment 463839
This is a cool specimen. I've never seen one so clearly defined on two axis. I would speculate the sac was partially prolapsed for two or three growth cycles then because it was slightly oblong, shifted 90 degrees. Perhaps the perforation progressed toward the end or as you've suggested a minor shock popped it sideways.

This is a cool specimen. I've never seen one so clearly defined on two axis. I would speculate the sac was partially prolapsed for two or three growth cycles then because it was slightly oblong, shifted 90 degrees. Perhaps the perforation progressed toward the end or as you've suggested a minor shock popped it sideways.
I know Dave! Wish I could have kept it for myself. Just have a few photos and they are not that good :(

Supernova, this is how we all learn and gain experience and knowledge; you brought us all some new learning :)

Douglas, what an amazing pearl that was. I LOVE good quality circled pearls, what a treat to see one so unique; I wish you still had it!

I'd completely forgotten I have this one strand in stock. Very definitely akoya as bought direct from the farm
6mm to 10.3mm and it's a long strand too 46cm so won't strangle anyone!

Attachments

• p 5583 spec  circle black akoy.jpg
    p 5583 spec circle black akoy.jpg
    948.5 KB · Views: 74
  • p 5583 spec circle black akoya .jpg
    p 5583 spec circle black akoya .jpg
    706.7 KB · Views: 81
  • p 5583 spec circle black akoya.jpg
    p 5583 spec circle black akoya.jpg
    663.9 KB · Views: 73
Back