Ahhhh help with magnetic clasp snafu, please!

battah

SO dumb on my part. I was fiddling with the magnetic clasp on a leather bracelet I just bought (this isn't pearl-related at all, btw) - I removed one end of the clasp so I could trim the leather and glue it back on. The two parts of the clasp snapped together when I had one end of leather pulled out, so I couldn't get the little part out (it slides inside the main clasp part so it's hidden). I figured I'd glue the end on and could just pull it out once the glue dried, but I managed to spill superglue on it and now the two pieces are glued together.

AAAGH! Any advice on how to get it out? If I try acetone to dissolve the glue, will it damage the leather?

Magnets glued together? I haven't heard that one before, lol. Leather is pretty cheap and easy to come by. Might it be worth it to soak the piece in Attack or something similar to save the clasp if nothing else?

Thanks! Yeah I think I should just give up on the leather and soak the sucker. I'm kicking myself, that was so dumb! lol. I hadn't used superglue in a while and I forgot how watery it is.

Doh...

At least you did not glue your fingers together! Been there, done that:eek:

Marianne, I DID get glue all over my hand, but I managed not to glue it to my other hand, so at least that's something ;)

Wendy, I had been using a kind of gel glue but it wasn't as strong as superglue. Continuing my hunt for the perfect glue.

Update: I soaked the clasp in acetone and managed to get it unstuck. Whew! I wish I knew where this guy sourced his magnet clasps, though, this one is pretty nice. I've been looking online but I haven't found exactly the same thing.

Battah, Glad the little problem is resolved. Sounds like something I would do. I'm still looking for the perfect glue also. I think I have about 6 different kinds. Trying the 2 part epoxy next, but haven't bought it. Can anyone recommend a brand that they especially like, or are they all pretty much the same?

Perhaps you can try to use a sharp knife to pry them apart? (Taking care not to add to the damage, of course! :))

I use epoxy rather than superglue these days. I find the results are much better.

- Karin

Pattye, I use the Vigor brand of two part epoxy and I really like it. Now, at first I thought it was a wonder glue and I started gluing all sorts of non-jewelry related things with it. Handle back onto coffee pot, switch back onto lamp, cracked vase... Some of these attempts have been successful and others not. With jewelry on the other hand, I don't have any complaints yet. You must work quickly and in small batches, but I like the consistency and clear, hard finish.

Back