Advise please

seadancer

Community member
I have this huge baroque pearl, which I have been told is natural. It measures 25mm long and weighs 5.9 grams. I would like to have a pendent made from it, but it has a dogs tooth end which curves outwards. Is it possible to have this removed, or would that destroy it?
What would you advise please.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

I have this huge baroque pearl, which I have been told is natural. It measures 25mm long and weighs 5.9 grams. I would like to have a pendent made from it, but it has a dogs tooth end which curves outwards. Is it possible to have this removed, or would that destroy it?
What would you advise please.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Hi,
Yes that is a large pearl, but many people call natural pearls objects that do not prove to be natural upon testing. There are a large number of pearl testing laboratories that will test for $40 to $400, depending on how detailed you want the analysis to be. Getting a certificate is step 1 in deciding what to do with the pearl. Based on my experience with thousands of pearls, it is utterly impossible for you to know a natural without sending the pearl to the lab...unless you yourself pulled it out of an oyster.

If it is cultured, cut off whatever you want; but if it tests as a marine natural nacreous pearl, any human action upon it whatsoever reduces its value...i.e. cutting, bleaching, polishing, etc. Because natural pearls are the rarest gems on earth, a natural pearl of that size could fetch many thousands of dollars. So don't do anything until you have a certification in your hand.

Tom Stern, MD
Titan Natural Pearls
San Francisco, CA
Member, Dubai Pearl Exchange

Thanks Tom.....I really didnt think it would make much difference whether it was natural or not, because of it being a baroque ( shows how much I know about pearls )
I will look around to see where I can get it tested here in Australia. If anyone knows of a Lab here who can do it, please let me know....I would be very grateful. :)

I would not recommend removing the "tooth" and would get someone to make a setting that would enhance its natural beauty instead.

For instant, I could imagine the pearl being the body and tail of a bird :)

DK :)

Dear Seadancer:
That's an amazing and beautiful pearl you have there. Even if it does not turn out to be a natural (and I wish you luck there, it would be nice if it turns out to be), part of it's charm is the tail. Hang around a little longer and you'll find we value pearls for their "natural" features". Being round is pretty artificial and although many vendors strive for shiny round pearls it is because we have been taught to prefer that.

What you have is a wonder all by itself. A gem created by nature. No two alike. You have an original!

Best of luck to you,
barbie

That pearl looks like a bead nucleated cultured freshwater pearl. These often have tails like that. They are called fireballs. You can actually see the round nucleus in them. Some South Sea cultured pearls can have tails too.

Tom has seen and certified many more naturals than I have, but it doesn't look like any natural I have ever seen.

Can you get a better, closeup photo that crops all the background and makes the pearl larger? Also at least one other view of the other side? I'd not like to see you pay $40 to get it certified as a cultured pearl.Never the less, it looks like it would make a nice pendant.

That pearl looks like a bead nucleated cultured freshwater pearl. These often have tails like that. They are called fireballs. You can actually see the round nucleus in them. Some South Sea cultured pearls can have tails too.

Tom has seen and certified many more naturals than I have, but it doesn't look like any natural I have ever seen.

Can you get a better, closeup photo that crops all the background and makes the pearl larger? Also at least one other view of the other side? I'd not like to see you pay $40 to get it certified as a cultured pearl.Never the less, it looks like it would make a nice pendant.

I agree with Caitlin, as always. A fireball is my impression exactly, but I've been wrong ssssoooooooooooooooo many times on whether something is natural or cultured. Maybe your dentist can take a film for $5 and you might see a definite bead inside. You can always scan the dental film and post it for comment. I've looked at too many thousands.

In China, a really nice lustrous fireball of 12+mm can be purchased for $6 or under.

Best,
Tom

Last edited:
Sorry to be so late with a reply...have been away for the silly season.:D
On checking around on different sites I'm fairly certain its a cultured pearl....but a fairly oldish one because the previous owner ( now deceased) had it for 30-40 years.

Back