AAAA Quality?

RAS61

Hi All - I'm a new member looking to purchase a strand of SS pearls for my wife for an upcoming anniversary. I've been reading a lot of posts to better educate myself, and have a question concering quality. I read an article on this site concerning grading, and it said that AAA was the highest industry standard, and to be wary of anyone advertising a higher grade because it "is considered bad taste, or even dishonest, by most reputable dealers". The Pearl Source lists strands with AAAA quality pearls, I believe they are a trusted retailer (yes, no?), so do they have higher quality gems or just a different grading system? Should they be trusted, or avoided?

Thanks for the help,
Russ

just like 6 star hotels there are always things higher then the highest ( most of the time not ) its easier to place a product here with the price so we can compere and see what it is otherwise it is very hard

normally aaa is the highest but some use aaa+ as well so always hard to say who is right but the moment would be better then the normal best you always pay good money for it thats one thing thats sure

A-AAA is indeed the industry standard grading system.
Some people might think it was hyperbole and a small warning light if a site uses AAAA. There is enough flexibility within the A-AAA system for most of our needs (and some of us have special brand-specific names for our top of the AAA grade outstanding pearls)

They do explain their own grading system. It appears that their AAAA is what most of our vendor members sell as AAA. Just make sure that there is a good return policy and do a little comparison shopping. :)

Thanks for the help and clarification everyone. If I may ask another question, is there a vendor that specializes more in SS pearls or generally has a larger inventory? Since this is a very special occasion (25th anniversary) I'd really like to get a top quality strand that really impresses.

Ah yes, a high quality SS strand would for sure make her very impressed ;)
Maybe Golden SS ? Does are really Amazing, but they are expansive.
I Think that ( http://www.pearlparadise.com ) has a good inventory of SS Pearls.

Thanks for the help and clarification everyone. If I may ask another question, is there a vendor that specializes more in SS pearls or generally has a larger inventory? Since this is a very special occasion (25th anniversary) I'd really like to get a top quality strand that really impresses.

For top quality I would recommend the Pearl Source, they simply appear to have a larger inventory in top quality category. AAAA may not be better than AAA from other sources, but in my experience, and I was shopping for top quality a lot lately on all websites, AAA is not readily available and quickly sells out. When shopping the Pearl Source I was talking to Leon, and he was very attentive to my special requests for top quality, I was very happy with my SS. Just make sure you order AAAA if you order from them, and better talk to them and say that the necklace has to be very special. Pearl Paradise has now only 3 strands in AAA, I believe, and most of the top quality at the Tahitianpearl.biz is sold out. If you read descriptions, most of their strands said to have moderate blemishes. I am currently shopping for a baroque SS in top quality and was not able to find one for 2 years. It is easier to find a round strand.

For top quality I would recommend the Pearl Source, they simply appear to have a larger inventory in top quality category. AAAA may not be better than AAA from other sources, but in my experience, and I was shopping for top quality a lot lately on all websites, AAA is not readily available and quickly sells out.

I feel compelled to comment because I don't believe this is completely accurate. We, along with Tahitian Pearls Biz, use unique photos for every Tahitian and South Sea strand. The Pearl Source/Laguna Pearl only use stock photos. There are no unique, individual strand photos on the sites, so I don't believe they have more "top quality inventory" than another company.

Please correct me if I am wrong, or most likely, outdated, but I thought SS were only graded A, B,C (with +s for extra merit) and that Freshwaters were graded with A, AA, AAA?

Please correct me if I am wrong, or most likely, outdated, but I thought SS were only graded A, B,C (with +s for extra merit) and that Freshwaters were graded with A, AA, AAA?

You're thinking Tahitian pearls, and that is a government rating. With South Sea every producer has their own scale and most often letters aren't used. If I could find Atlas' scales it would be a perfect example. It has something like 30+ grades. It isn't for public consumption, however.

Thanks for the helpful feedback everyone! I've done some additional research on the forums, and will definitely steer clear of Pearl Source. Unfortunately, I've also become enamored with Tahitians, so now I have to decide between the two!

Oh, and to beat many of you to the punch, I won't be getting one of each ... at least not right away ;)

Definitely, however I've always enjoyed the Tahitians just the teensiest bit more than the South Seas as I am a color and iridescence addict. :D

Now I would choose white South Seas over anything <3 Good thing there are lots of fabulous choices to make us all happy!

Back