A1 vs AAA

LadyBratFace

Hello,

I just got back my Mikimoto strand and the appraisal says they are A1. I was thinking this was pretty sad compared to the AAA earrings I've been considering to buy. Looking at the Mikimoto site, they list most of their strands as A1. Is this because there is no standard? Or are these other pearls just that much better?

Thanks for the help!

There is not a universal standard . Everyone does their own thing. As for Miki ..I stopped at a dealer in HK and looked at his AAA Akoya ...quite pricey ..I made a joke about Mikimoto ..he said .." they never would have bought these as the quality is too low " lol So their standards must be darn high.

The thing is ..most people couldn't tell the difference. You do want to match the colour though. Some one like PP is good as you can send them back if the colour isn't close. Call them and tell them what you want ..send a close up so they can see the colour. I assume you are in the USA. If not you may want to shop locally.

Mikimoto's grading system is way and above most other companies' grading systems.

Miki's lowest grade is often equivalent to another vendor's AAA grade.

Miki grades, A1, A, A+, AA, and AAA. (It's a bit like egg grades. Most people buy grade A eggs because they don't know there are grade AA eggs. People wouldn't buy the grade A eggs, if they realized they were really grade B.)

I have some Blue Lagoon pearls, which are Miki's lower grade brand and they are much better than all my other pearls save my Hanadamas from PP. And I expect the Blue Lagoons would probably be Miki's "B" grade.

My mother has a double strand of Miki's AA's, and they are absolutely amazing.

Thank you! This was very helpful information. :D I guess I was expecting the strand to have aged because they were surely not kept in the best spot for many years.

This site is the best! Now I want to see a Miki AAA pearl :D

Most likely you will find Miki AAA grade in earrings. Generally speaking, wthi all types of pearls the top quality pairs (great luster, no blemishes) are matched for earrings. A full necklace of AAA Miki's would be a special order, and I can't imagine what the price would be. (When I worked at Nordstrom Fine Jewelry 20 years ago, Miki was our stock line of pearls. That was my first exposure to high end pearls in person and wow, they were out of my budget even then!

Pearl Paradise's top akoyas certainly would be comparable to AAA Miki's. It would be wrong to give you the impression that AAA Miki's are finer than any other akoya pearls available.

I've never seen Miki's AAA's. I think those are only available at their actual stores. And I agree, they will only be in earrings or maybe a single pendant. Most good mall jewelry stores will only have the A1 quality strands, and they are very nice.

However, I LOVE my Hanadama rope from PP, and it can hold its own with any Miki strand.

Believe it of not, I saw a strand of AAAs when I went to the Mikimoto store with my Ebay strand. My attention was caught by a strand of alternating large/small pearls, which I thought were pretty impressive quality, but when I asked, they were just As. So I asked to see some AAAs, and they brought out a strand. OMG. Incredible. Absolutely Amazing. [fill in your favorite exclamation here]. I was afraid to touch them, much less try them on. The price was about 5 times as much as the ones I tried on. If they still have them when I go back to pick up my strand I will take a picture to post here. There was also a conch pearl pendant I wish I had taken a picture of. I was kind of freaked out by the Beverly Hills shopping experience, too -- the Mikimoto store didn't have someone waiting outside to open the door for people going in, like some of the stores. They did have someone on the inside waiting to open the door when I left. I guess that's part of what you pay for.

Beverly Hills post Ruckus fantasy shopping trip ... a group of us ladies, decked in all kinds of pearly glory, walk into the Miki store ... ... ... :)

Thank you! This was very helpful information. :D I guess I was expecting the strand to have aged because they were surely not kept in the best spot for many years.

This site is the best! Now I want to see a Miki AAA pearl :D

I just purchased a pair of Mikimoto AAA stud earrings. They are astonishing in their luster! I was looking at all the pearls at my local jeweler's and I was struck by their brilliance (granted all the other pearls were nowhere near the quality; they had some akoya strands at $495.00, and some freshwater pearls). I would *never* have spent so much without seeing them in person.

I will post some pictures tomorrow!
Linda

I'm on board for a road trip ;D

This is an addiction. LOL!

A road trip that would be easy for you from Sonoma is a visit to Sarah of Kojima Pearl she has a wonderful studio in San Rafel with lots and lots of wonderful pearls. You will need an appointment so plan a head.

I wish I had the money to go to Ruckus and all the shows! There are apparently no gem shows in Vienna, which I find odd, and only one in Innsbruck that I certainly can't take the time off to attend. Boo!

Back