A puzzle - balancing ethics and profit.

With the shipping companies..It isn't so much the company in the country of departure as how it operates in the country of arrival which counts. by far the best for arriving here is DHL while UPS is dire. UPS's customs clearance dept is totally brain dead and take a week to decide that they need to clear something so they will write a letter to you ....Fedex charges top rate VAT and duty on everything (to be on the safe side I suspect) even including a few bits and bobs left to me by my aunt in Canada.
I've got something coming in TNT so if they are very good or very bad I'll let you know
DHL has had parcels from China door to door in three days including customs which I rate as pretty amazing

... there is simply no point in doing it in a dodgy way. I won't ask my suppliers to provide false information (although some automatically do), and I object if any overseas customers I have ask me to provide false information for ease of entry into their own countries.
These costs are simply a cost of doing business. They need to factored in to every transaction I make, and the pricing of every item I sell. Transparency in business is important!

I so agree- it just wouldn't be worth being dishonest for any saving. I wouldn't be able to stand the shame if Customs busted me underdeclaring! I had a seller underdeclare a few weeks ago and I still declared the full amount. Partly my conscience and I have to admit partly my sheer fear of embarrassment!

It may be that the product was actually imported from and manufactured in China. For NAFTA to apply, the product needs to be assembled/manufactured in the US. For example, you may be subject to duties if you bought loose pearls from pearl paradise, sine the we're not produced or manufactured in the US. However, if you by a necklace from pearl paradise, the necklace was strung in the US (i.e., assembled) and would not be subject to duties. It can get a little more complicated, but tat the scoop.

Ah yes - you're correct, i checked the silk and it was imported from another country and simply re-sold by this company. It makes sense.

Geez, I feel like I've come out for the 'Dark Side' or something, which is a real unfamiliar and uncomfortable place. Ethical and moral obligation to follow the law - what about bad law? or intrusive law? or law that deprives whole segments of a population from pursuing their occupations? or law that's used to abuse someone?

I'm just saying it's not all black and white.

I assume most people aren't aware and/or don't report US state use tax when they purchase via the internet. Tracking small purchase is tedious. How many of you purchase from amazon.com track your purchases and file use tax? :) States w/o income tax aren't really tracking down consumers' internet purchases and collect use tax on those. I guess they have bigger fish to fry with businesses rather than end users.

I do not make many purchases outside the US but have noticed that there is no customs charges on items shipped via EMS.

Arizona's tax site where you pay for your sales, has a warning that you must pay AZ taxes on all internet sales. I do not know how they will police it and it is hard to guess how much tax you need to pay, after the fact. I mean for sales of non jewelry related items. Of course I pay taxes on evverything I sell- in AZ.

Last edited:
Back