A new addition to the pearlo family, almost...

pearlo

Community member
All right, so I just agreed on a new buy this evening. It took some time to hunt this down, but we eventually agreed. It's not in my possession yet, so I have to take his word for it. I asked him if it was ok if I could pick it up tomorrow, but I have no reply yet. I can't wait to close this one.

I won't give away yet what I bought, but I will post pics on this forum when I've have it, let me know if you think I made a good purchase. Looking forward to your reactions and comments.

To be honest buying pearls is very addicting. Plus they look good on my wife too :)

Oh the suspense!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has been bitten by the buying-pearls-for-the-wife bug :)

Pick up agreed in 6 hours. Hopefully it looks as I'm hoping it wil look like. Will post pics of the advertisement, and pics of the pearls in my possession after the sale.

The pics are not very good, had to use artificial lighting. Will do some more with natural light. It's maybe not the most original necklace. But we agreed on 140 USD. You understand I couldn't resist that :) will also share the story behind this tomorrow, with pics from the advertisement.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
A bit extra info. It's a pre-owned mikimoto. No box or certificate. 18'' long. 6.3-6mm pearls with 18k yellow gold clasp. I'm not an expert in akoya pearls. I suspect this is the lowest grade mikimoto A1. But I always like to be on the safe side. This is one of my question for you guys and girls, please give your opinion on the quality when I have some better photos in natural daylight. Also I find the string to be a bit stretched. Looking for tips on this subject also. And finally, when there is an orginal red mikimoto necklace case on eBay I will be looking to acquire that :)

Thx Katbran. When I picked it up I was hesitating a bit because it looked like many pearls had some damage on it an I was paying to much. But i was suspecting that a lot of it was just dirt. I cleaned it up last night and luckily it was all dirt, so the pearls are all undamaged and in good condition.

The buyer was aware that he was selling a mikimoto necklace, since he was quick in refusing my first $80 bid :p He inherited the neclace from family who lived in Asia most of there life, and i suspect it was bought originally in Japan as there are no knots between the pearls.

I have added some low res pics in natural light environment. Please comment on quality and color of the pearls. All comment would be much appreciated. My guess on color is white with ivory/gold overtone. Quality A1

image1.jpg
image3.jpg
image5.jpg
image7.jpg
image8.jpg
image11.jpg

did some comparison on internet with regard to color. Could they be cream with green overtones? and are these pearls indeed akoya's?

to me it looks a bit greenish on this photo. reflecting is actualy quite good in my opinion. i can see myself wearing a blue shirt in this photo

foto.jpg

Pearlo, those are really pretty, and I love the clasp. I just wanted to add that I've heard (probably in this forum) that is quite normal for akoyas to turn to a more ivory/cream colour over the years.

After a good look, I decided to settle for shape: round :cool: color: white underground, pink overtone, luster: very good, surface quality:A+

Will be on the look out for Haitian pearls and freshwater pearls next.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

hey pearlo good buy ! if you need them restrung you can always send me or member cees ( he will be in holland for another 3 weeks i think ) or member tamuatoa berg a message, also if you ever have questions here about pearls you can contact them we know most of the pearls on the market in holland and are together most likely responsible for the largest wholesale in the country together we stock more then half off all the jewelers and goldsmiths here so also when your not sure about buying pearls specially tahitians which dutch websites are offering fake and colored freshwaters quite often always feel welcome to send them or me a message !

hey pearlo good buy ! if you need them restrung you can always send me or member cees ( he will be in holland for another 3 weeks i think ) or member tamuatoa berg a message, also if you ever have questions here about pearls you can contact them we know most of the pearls on the market in holland and are together most likely responsible for the largest wholesale in the country together we stock more then half off all the jewelers and goldsmiths here so also when your not sure about buying pearls specially tahitians which dutch websites are offering fake and colored freshwaters quite often always feel welcome to send them or me a message !

thx for your offer dmj. I will do that and i will contact you immediatly when im ready for a restring, that in my opinion is a must in this case. Are you also able to provide me with a contact to clean and pollish them professionally?

A great buy (in my humble opinion) and they look lovely, the clasp seems very much in keeping with the bracelet too!
They'll look even better re-strung and worn regularly...
Enjoy!

Back