A ? for all you pearl fashion gurus!

blustilang

Not being a woman's fashion expert, how do you folks feel about SS pearls for "every day/casual" wear. I'm not talking about digging in the garden with them, but what about your every day chores (grocery story, everyday errands etc)? How about the rockin' chair on the porch of a mountain cabin with good friends while enjoying a cocktail or 2 (or 3!) ?

Lastly, are SS pearls on the decline, holding steady, or on the upswing in dressy fashion trends?

Thanks folks,
T
PS I may should have put this under the "fashion" part of the forum, but since it is specific to SS's...etc

I wouldn't wear a strand of 16mm gem SS for an occasion like that, but simple pendant for sure, tin cup style necklace or lariat of baroque pearls I would also put on..... or just dangly earrings set without diamonds. But I'm the wrong one to answer this question... I ALWAYS wear pearls. Well... maybe not to bed..LoL..

I don't think SS can go on decline. It's a luxury item and if you can afford it, you buy it, if you have it, you show it!
Thanks to freshwater pearls making it affordable for everyone to have some kind of pearls (baroque, coins,"keshis"), more people have them and by having them acknowledge that pearls are the thing to wear and to desire. If one can afford Tahitians, SS or Akoyas, one acquires them depending on taste in color and shape ( and budget). Once you start, there is no end.

If I had a great strand of SSP I would wear when ever and where ever. Why not? :)

- Karin

I just purchased this strand of baroque white South Sea pearls from Pearl Paradise a few weeks ago at the Ruckus. It's my first strand of SS pearls and I haven't taken it off since except to sleep and shower. I am not planning on gardening in it as I live in a very hot humid location, but it's been shopping at CostCo and will be heading out today in jeans and a tee. My girlfriend from this forum Newberry sent me one of her strands of white South Sea as she thought I wouldn't like large white pearls (always wear Tahitians for the most part) She loaned her strand to me for 6 months. I really liked her's, so I knew it wouldn't be wasted money on something I wouldn't wear if I purchased one. I already owned the matching earrings , and Jeremy helped me select this strand from Atlas Pearl. Love it.
c28vn23

I feel SS pearls, and large ones, are always a great! SS pearls have thick nacre compared to some other types of pearls, and with proper care will become heirloom pieces.

Pearls can be your Signature Look! "Blustilang? Oh, she's the pretty woman who always wears pearls!"

How lovely to start building a wardrobe of pearls when you are young, to be enjoyed for a lifetime.

Some peeps will comment on or admire your pearls, others will refer to them as beads, lol, wear them confidently and enjoy! The glow of SS pearls around your neck will never be more beautiful than in the indirect light on the porch of a mountain cabin~

IMO, the interest in pearls is growing, with more styles available and freshwater options at a lower cost, pearls worn on leather, mixed with chains and other gemstones.

Last edited:
Hi Blustilang - absolutely, why not, SSP and jeans and a T-shirt- very cool :cool:

Wow Wendy - when I saw the pics I thought it was another glossy magazine photo or something - they are just beautiful

what size are they ?

:eek:

Last edited:
10-14mm. I always assumed that white pearls were meant for dress up only, but these are so fun to wear I can't wait to dig though my closet to find something to make them pop. Yesterday it was white , head to toe, today I ended up with a black shell and jeans. I went to a company goodbye party last weekend and wore them with dress clothes, I had women and men ask me about them and drew me in for a close inspection. I haven't had that happen for a while... Joseph Taylor from Atlas Pearl was suppsed to come to the Ruckus this year. I was so tickled to buy some pearls I assume came from one of his farms spread across the Indonesian archipelago in Bali, Flores, Alor and West Papua.

Marianne, Pearl Paradise had 40 strands from Atlas Pearl and even more from other sources to choose from.... It was a feast for the eyes, I tell you.. Here is a shot of some we brought to the table to choose from.
d5h4mrp

Then I narrowed it down to this box from Atlas pearls I chose the strand second from the bottom.
cad2z7j

Marianne and Pattye, I know you've seen the vault, but others who read here may not have. I took tons of photos to share and haven't had time to go through them all yet. One thing for sure, if I hadn't purchased these from Pearl Paradise, I still wouldn't have a strand of white south sea pearls. I thought they were beyond my reach and my pocket book would never be able to afford these pretty things. I am so glad I found this place to shop. ((((((LOVE PP))))))

I think in a way large pearls can be less formal looking than their smaller counterparts (i.e. a strand of monster SS versus a strand of perfect Akoyas). It just depends on the person and their attitude! Pearls with jeans, of course!!! As some of you know, I wear my Kamoka Tahitians while scuba diving, but of course they aren't best quality and are strung on cable rather than silk. Life is short...wear pearls early and often!

White pearls seem to be gaining popularity, and that would include SS as well (most people don't know the difference, members of this forum excluded). The pearl necklace prominently featured in the latest Batman movie certainly can't hurt!

I don't really go for white pearls myself - the only ones I have are a 100 inch freshwater rope.

I do wear pearls most of the time - either my tahitian baroques, or lavender freshwaters.

I think I'd find SS pearls a bit big for me; my lavender freshwaters are 7mm to 8mm, and my Tahitians are 8mm to 10mm. I'm not sure I'd want much larger than that. But each to her own!

Personally, I tend to wear my strand of SSPs for formal occasions where I need to dress up. Dressing up means wearing a dress, or a long dress, requiring full make up, including having the nails done, so that I can wear my best jewellery.

I have other pearl necklaces and pendants that I can wear on a day to day basis and for less dressier occasions.

DK :)

Lillie,

Your SSP necklace is gorgeous!

DK :)

LillieFS you know I just love your new necklace. It is perfect for you! Thank you for letting me help you choose. It was fun.

Oh Wendy! You lucky girl! You've got the right attitude - wear them at every opportunity - or make the opportunities. :)

Thanks for this input, folks. Seems as if it is like most fashion these days--if you like them, wear them anytime you want!
For those of you extolling the virtues of PP, I'll gladly join that choir having experience with them over the past several weeks:) Top notch outfit in every way conceivable.
Stay tuned for my next topic regarding my recent quest and the end result-complete with pics!
Kind regards,
T

Hi Wendy - 10-14mm is heading towards the ginormous scale :cool:

Thanks again for all your wonderful photos of the Ruckus, which truly brings it alive for those of us who weren't there :)

Especially the ones of the PP vault !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Last edited:
Back