90+ year old pearl necklace - value

Cleece

This pearl necklace is probably 100+ years old when my mom inherited them in 1987 she had them appraised by our hometown jeweler. The appraisal is dated June 19, 1987 with a value of $1684. I was wondering what the approx value would be today based on the following description: (the pearls haven't been worn since 1987, so they haven't received any wear and tear)

31" genuine cultured pearl opera length necklace with 14k gold leaf clasp. There are 88 approx 8mm pearls of fair to medium lustre with average 10% surface blemishes - white dominant color with slight pink cast of color, individually knotted.

Attachments

• photoc.jpg
    photoc.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 43
  • photoa.jpg
    photoa.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 42
  • photob.jpg
    photob.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 44
  • photod.jpg
    photod.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 36
Welcome, Cleece,

We love seeing photos and hearing the stories about family treasures, vintage pearls like these! The gold leaf clasp is fabulous! How does it hook together? Was it purchased when traveling in Europe? For a special occasion? Are you planning to wear it?

Akoya pearl culturing began about 100 years ago, so your pearls are somewhat newer than that. The nacre is likely quite thick, and they appear to be in good condition and of good quality. The appraisal (retail replacement) value today could be slightly higher today because of the value of gold. Hopefully the pearls have not been stored in a safe deposit box, as that is too dry an environment for pearls. The pearls would need to be evaluated in person to be certain no condition issues have developed since the last appraisal.

I hope you plan to wear this strand~you'd be right in style! Plenty of pearls to restyle into a necklace, bracelet, earrings combo also, if you'd prefer a shorter length.

Welcome, Cleece,

We love seeing photos and hearing the stories about family treasures, vintage pearls like these! The gold leaf clasp is fabulous! How does it hook together? Was it purchased when traveling in Europe? For a special occasion? Are you planning to wear it?

Akoya pearl culturing began about 100 years ago, so your pearls are somewhat newer than that. The nacre is likely quite thick, and they appear to be in good condition and of good quality. The appraisal (retail replacement) value today could be slightly higher today because of the value of gold. Hopefully the pearls have not been stored in a safe deposit box, as that is too dry an environment for pearls. The pearls would need to be evaluated in person to be certain no condition issues have developed since the last appraisal.

I hope you plan to wear this strand~you'd be right in style! Plenty of pearls to restyle into a necklace, bracelet, earrings combo also, if you'd prefer a shorter length.

Back