3 Tips to Spot Dyed Pearls

Enigma Lumin

Freshwater pearl cultivation production and sales
微信图片_20230818214327.jpg

Pearl dyeing is a common treatment to create unnatural colors. Here are 3 quick ways to identify dyed pearls at home without professional testing:

1. Check the drill hole - dye buildup is visible around drill holes in dyed pearls. Natural pearls have clean drill holes.
  2. Examine under flashlight - look for blotches and uneven patches which are signs of dye. Natural pearl colors are solid and consistent.
  3. Observe under UV light - dyed pearls look green with splotches while natural pearls glow blue evenly.
Bright green, red or other colors not found in nature are clear giveaways too. Hope these handy tips help identify imitation pearls easily! Let me know if you have any other tips to share.
微信图片_20230818214326.jpg
微信图片_20230818214325_1.jpg
微信图片_20230818214322.jpg
微信图片_20230818214325.jpg

View attachment 465722
Pearl dyeing is a common treatment to create unnatural colors. Here are 3 quick ways to identify dyed pearls at home without professional testing:

1. Check the drill hole - dye buildup is visible around drill holes in dyed pearls. Natural pearls have clean drill holes.
  2. Examine under flashlight - look for blotches and uneven patches which are signs of dye. Natural pearl colors are solid and consistent.
  3. Observe under UV light - dyed pearls look green with splotches while natural pearls glow blue evenly.
Bright green, red or other colors not found in nature are clear giveaways too. Hope these handy tips help identify imitation pearls easily! Let me know if you have any other tips to share.View attachment 465723View attachment 465724View attachment 465725View attachment 465726
Super cool! Thank you. Although sometimes I really like the color of a dyed pearl so much I'll purchase it...but knowing that it is dyed helps with price negotiation.

And don't forget real Sea of Cortez pearls glow red under UV light. The only pearls to do so. Right Douglas? I'll be so embarrassed if I got it wrong.

And don't forget real Sea of Cortez pearls glow red under UV light. The only pearls to do so. Right Douglas? I'll be so embarrassed if I got it wrong.
No worries, the information I provided earlier was simply the most common methods we use in China to quickly identify dyed freshwater pearls without laboratory testing. I appreciate you sharing your insight though.

You are 100% right: they glow from light pink (for light colored pearls) all the way to blood-red (very dark pearls).

You are 100% right: they glow from light pink (for light colored pearls) all the way to blood-red (very dark peaThank you so much. I've learned a lot from your suggestions
Thank you so much. I've learned a lot from your suggestions.

I learned quite a bit from your chart/information. I've never had a dyed gold pearl to check under UV so I did not know they would fluoresce in green! I loved this info :D

I learned quite a bit from your chart/information. I've never had a dyed gold pearl to check under UV so I did not know they would fluoresce in green! I loved this info :D
It brings me great joy to know that you appreciated my advice.

You made me look up at the photos I have taken of pearls under UV light and found a few that some will find very interesting...this one is of a multi-colored Cortez pearl necklace (photo probably taken by Guille Soberón, but not sure). You can see all the fluorescent variations: from blue-green for white Cortez pearls to the blood red colors.
Collar PMC bajo UV.jpg

And this one of 3 pearls...left to right: White SSP, Cortez and Tahitian.
SSP Cortez Tahiti.JPG

Wonderfully helpful post Enigma Lumin; Thanks!

Douglas, your "full strand" SOC photo ... all the pearls in that strand were SOC, even the white ones? The florescence varied that much, or am I misunderstanding? Thank you :)

Douglas, your "full strand" SOC photo ... all the pearls in that strand were SOC, even the white ones? The florescence varied that much, or am I misunderstanding? Thank you :)
Yes indeed dear friend! Even the white ones are Cortez! You see, there is this pigment (a natural protein) that is deposited and that makes the pearl dark (but it is not Melanin, which makes Tahitians dark!), but some of the "Rainbow Lips" are albinos! So, they don't secrete much of this protein, thus they look just like most other saltwater pearls.

Thank you so much for the thoughtful feedback. I'm really glad to hear my post was helpful for you. It makes all the effort feel worthwhile knowing it provided value. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there are other areas I can offer insights or assistance with in the future. I will continue striving to create meaningful content. Your support and encouragement are truly appreciated.

You made me look up at the photos I have taken of pearls under UV light and found a few that some will find very interesting...this one is of a multi-colored Cortez pearl necklace (photo probably taken by Guille Soberón, but not sure). You can see all the fluorescent variations: from blue-green for white Cortez pearls to the blood red colors.
View attachment 465750

And this one of 3 pearls...left to right: White SSP, Cortez and Tah

Sometimes a change in perspective allows us to witness a different kind of beauty. Thank you very much for sharing this diverse view - it's enriching to see things from a new angle.​

Back