14mm South Sea Pearl studs - where to buy in Australia?

ZedPea

Hi everyone

I'm a brand new member and very much an amateur when it comes to purchasing pearls. I'm looking to replace a pair of white 10-11mm SSP studs that my husband bought for me a couple of years ago (I don't have any further stats to share as they were a present). Unfortunately I misplaced them in an airport earlier this year, but happily my insurer has approved my claim to replace them.

I'm seeking advice about the best options to upgrade to a 14mm+ equivalent. I've spoken with Kailis twice now, and have been informed that they only offer that size in a 'button' shape, which doesn't appeal. I'm in Western Australia, so I would have thought it would be easy to find a replacement, but it hasn't been that way so far!

I'm happy to purchase internationally if there is a cost saving significant enough to offset the import (duty + GST) costs.

I welcome any and all advice you'd be kind enough to provide.

Hi ZedPea, I'm im Melbourne and Rutherford Pearls has a nice selection. Jan Logan also has some beautiful pearls. And of course Paspaley but $$$$$$$$!

My experience has been that pearl prices at brick and mortar jewellers in Australia are at least double that of the major online US pearl vendors. And that's even with our terrible exchange rate.

I suggest contacting a few vendors to see if they have any pearls in stock that meet your requirements. 14mm studs are huge!

Last edited:
I know that the button shape is popular in the large sizes as they tend to sit on the ear a bit better. The round 14mm+ pearls do tend to stick out quite a bit and can droop so you need to have a proper back that supports the stud.

Best to try George and see what he has - then you don't have to worry about shipping things that cost thousands back and forth. He's on your side of the country ! I'm in SA :)

George - I'm going to PM you as well.

Hi ZedPea, I'm im Melbourne and Rutherford Pearls has a nice selection. Jan Logan also has some beautiful pearls. And of course Paspaley but $$$$$$$$!

My experience has been that pearl prices at brick and mortar jewellers in Australia are at least double that of the major online US pearl vendors. And that's even with our terrible exchange rate.

I suggest contacting a few vendors to see if they have any pearls in stock that meet your requirements. 14mm studs are huge!

Thanks for your response. It is such a shame that we don't have more online options available locally! I have amply fleshy earlobes so I think the 14mm will look 'normal' on them, rather than huge, unfortunately! Oh to be best with delicate little ears...

Thanks George. I've just sent you an email! Really appreciate your offer of assistance.

i want to see how could you wear those big beauties?

I have fleshy lobes too with a large surface area, but once the pearl hits the 11mm mark, it tends to droop when it's perfectly round. I can see the appeal of 14mm buttons that will probably sit better on the ear. Definitely a must to have good supportive backings to prevent drooping!

ZedPea, So sorry for your lost earrings, but pleased you will be able to replace them. Had you have already discovered this most helpful chart Pearl Dreams produced, showing how the volume of an pearl increases with the millimeter size? For example, going from 11mm to 14mm is double in volume, so I'd assume weight would double also. Just another reason to consider a button pearl.

I have small ears and cannot wear larger post pearls on my ears, so I like button pearls. They look round on the ear, but not weighty. :)

Just thought you might like to know the outcome. ZedPea viewed various pairs and ended up choosing these buttons. fullsizeoutput_26b.jpg

Very nicely matched pair and lovely color! Glad you were able to help her!

Back