14k studs. 9-10mm

BeeBee

Community member
Hi Everyone, Thanks again for giving me feedback on the pieces I've posted. This is a pair of studs my mom picked up for me a few years ago, flea market or yard sale. They are about 9-10mm, marked 14k, hallmark is a flower (head) inside a circle. Total weight 3G according to my unsophisticated scale. Thanks for taking a look!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Sorry the photos or so fuzzy - they aren't that way on the camera!

Could someone explain to me how to tell if these are akoyas vs freshwater? I would like to find a pair of akoyas for my daughter and I'm not exactly sure what to look for. Thanks!

Maybe. I hate to be so vague, but the photos are fuzzy. I think you should concentrate on buying the most beautiful pearls, rather than what type. Akoya pearls don't have a lock on beauty and if you purchase a bargain, you are apt to get pearls with a scanty coating. :)

BeeBee,
Freshwater pearls have gotten rounder (even without a bead nucleus) as culturing techniques have improved, and earring pearls are selected from among the best ones. Also, there are freshwaters that have metallic luster rivaling akoyas. So it's not always easy to tell what is an akoya and what is a freshwater, particularly from a photo.

Here is a consideration: freshwaters deliver more bang for the buck compared to akoyas.

I totally agree with GemGeek-- just get pair that look beautiful to you (within your budget, of course.)

These are beautiful and on the large side and combined with the $20 she paid I get a kick out of wearing them! I'm actually going to give them back to her because now she's looking for a pair for herself...

Do freshwater pearls come in cream? I'm guessing they come in just about every color but I usually associate cream with akoyas - is that correct?

Back