12th Anniversary purchase

DirtyF9

First, thank you in advance for any opinions and guidance. I've been married coming up on 12 years this July. My wife and myself usually look to see what the year's traditional and modern gifts are, and often will try to find a clever spin on them. This year I'm just not very clever, but I would like to give her a nice piece of jewelry. I've been doing the crash course on pearls, and generally, I find places like this that have a particular interest in a hobby to be the best place to read.

I have some particular qualities that make this difficult. I don't like to buy anything substandard quality, and I don't like to buy anything that loses value significantly. Because of these reasons, I'm looking at three different companies that provide pearls. Tiffany & Co, not because I think they have the best quality, but they have good quality, and their value will be retained due to the name brand alone. Mikimoto, because of similar reasons, though I'd expect Tiffany to hold more value in most cases. The last, but not least, is Pearl Paradise. I only considered this last one because of lots of high praise from this forum, and because they offer GIA Certified Hanadama strands. Everyone seems to have their own grading, so if I'm going to purchase a brand that isn't quite as world renowned, I want a GIA certificate to go with it. I believe that may offset some depreciation. I am not buying these as an investment, but if for some reason I were to die I'd like my wife to have available some assets that can be liquidated other than my own possessions in case of emergency, and also quality items that can be handed down to our children.

My wife is 39, very petite, extremely fair skin tone, almost porcelain. She's gotten a little more color since moving to El Paso with me, but as we're moving to the pacific north west, I expect her complexion to return to it's doll like state eventually. If I got her a strand of pearls, it would likely be 16" to 17". She prefers a choker type strand if it's just a rope of pearls, as it's more casual day to day, but could be dressed up for a little black dress kind of date night. Alternatively, I could likely swing a pendent from Mikimotos. Their full strands are quite expensive, and I'm not sure it would be worth it on my < $5k budget. I should also note, she can't wear silver. So, it has to be gold or platinum. I prefer 18k yellow gold, because 14k is too bright in my opinion, and white gold loses it's luster after rhodium wears off, so not particularly fond of that either, though she likes how it looks, so I've taken several into consideration. What bothers me the most about Mikimoto is most of their jewelry does not state what they're grading their pearl/s at. For $2k+ I'd expect them to at least tell me what I'm buying, especially since most of these are just a single pearl.

So far, top picks are:
Tiffany Essential Pearls Necklace - 16" - $2400

Mikimoto Everyday Essentials Black South Sea Cultured Pearl Pendant with Diamonds in 18k White Gold (They also have a yellow gold for this one) - 8mm Pearl; Doesn't state grade - $2,800

Mikimoto Akoya Cultured Pearl and Diamond Pendant, 18k Yellow Gold - 8.25mm Pearl; Doesn't state grade - $3,150

Mikimoto Black South Sea Cultured Pearl Pendant - 8mm Pearl; A+ Grade - $2,050

Mikimoto Akoya Cultured Pearl and Diamond Drop Pendant in 18k White Gold - 7.5mm Pearl; Doesn't state grade - $2.250

Pearl Paradise 6.50-6.96 mm GIA Certified Hanadama Akoya Pearl Necklace - $5,040
I would request an 18k yellow gold clasp, and the strand to be reduced from it's current near 18" to somewhere between 16" and 17". This last one is also significantly pushing budget, relative the other options.

I know some of these options are not Akoya, but the majority of my interest is actually in natural color akoya pearls, rather than south sea pearls. I'd prefer something closer to 7.5-8.0, as I think that's the sweet spot for size, but for GIA certified Hanadama, those exceed budget in most cases. As a smaller necklace, closer to choker length, plus my wife's petite features, I think the 6.5 to 7 may also look quite nice. If you made it this far, thanks for reading my wordy post, and any advice, comments, criticism, or opinion is welcome. I appreciate your help with this.

How special that you're doing so much research to find the perfect pearl Anniversary Gift!
I don't know how much time you have, but I certainly can recommend Hisano Shepherd's expertise and guidance at Pearl Paradise. Being a very petite person herself with exquisite taste, via a virtual appointment, she could help you choose an exquisite strand or combine a pearl of your choice with a perfect pendant setting. I especially like tiny sparkling pave diamonds with pearls.
A virtual appointment will give you a chance to compare strands and pearls and be much more fun and educational than ordering from a website. Just my 2 cents ~

How special that you're doing so much research to find the perfect pearl Anniversary Gift!
I don't know how much time you have, but I certainly can recommend Hisano Shepherd's expertise and guidance at Pearl Paradise. Being a very petite person herself with exquisite taste, via a virtual appointment, she could help you choose an exquisite strand or combine a pearl of your choice with a perfect pendant setting. I especially like tiny sparkling pave diamonds with pearls.
A virtual appointment will give you a chance to compare strands and pearls and be much more fun and educational than ordering from a website. Just my 2 cents ~
Excellent advice!

I agree wholeheartedly!

If you’re not in a hurry, Pearl Paradise (Hisano and Jeremy) will be doing two Live Events from Japan with Akoya pearls. They will be at Takahashi Pearl, a pearl processing company in Kobe. I have several Akoya pieces from Takahashi, and they are all great quality. You can see the Live Event schedule on Pearl Paradise’s website. Here’s a screenshot of their Japan schedule.
IMG_2493.jpeg

An added bonus- typically Takahashi does not do returns, although I would have no need as everything I have received has been fantastic. But for the Live Events, Pearl Paradise is sending all the pearls out for your approval and will handle any returns. Hope you have a chance to tune in. Watch with your wife and see if something catches her eye?

We are here in Japan getting ready for Lake Kasumi ga Ura!

Takahashi doesn't allow returns because of the import/export issue. They understand it's difficult for people to commit to buying without the option to return, so we agreed that any orders from Takahashi between now and May 1st can be included with the pearls we're importing. In other words, we can import them without the duty and FedEx them to people for final approval. If any pearls need to be returned to Takahashi, we'll take care of getting them back to Japan.

So it's free shipping both ways, with the option of returning them. There will be no difference in pricing, so this really is a unique opportunity to see their pearls in person.

We are here in Japan getting ready for Lake Kasumi ga Ura!

Takahashi doesn't allow returns because of the import/export issue. They understand it's difficult for people to commit to buying without the option to return, so we agreed that any orders from Takahashi between now and May 1st can be included with the pearls we're importing. In other words, we can import them without the duty and FedEx them to people for final approval. If any pearls need to be returned to Takahashi, we'll take care of getting them back to Japan.

So it's free shipping both ways, with the option of returning them. There will be no difference in pricing, so this really is a unique opportunity to see their pearls in person.
This is indeed a very special opportunity!

Back