Restyle rescue of freshwater strand—autumn theme

multichrome

I’m working on a re-style of a strand of freshwaters I got on eBay. Buying them was truly an afterthought. I bought an awesome 1980s pearl enhancer (costume) from a seller, and I saw he had a long strand of vintage-ish freshwaters for sale at $1.99. Oh, okay! They arrived, are about 8mm by 6mm, and have lovely rose overtones.. The clasp was base metal and the stringing was nothing to mention. I want to emphasize the pink overtones, but I also want to wear them this fall. So in a proof-of-concept experiment I’m combining them with some lovely vintage crystal rondelles given me by friends on my last birthday. They all flash pink! I am using Beader’s Secret in Bronze, soooo gorgeous. I am afraid it is not heavy enough and that I’ll have to start over, and at least double knot between groups of crystals. I also envision a large gold clasp. But I’m pleased so far by the combo. We are clouded over with bands of Dorian (that sounds lovely but so worried about our coastal folk), so no sun. But when it comes back I’ll take more photos. Thank you for looking, and if you have any suggestions I’d love to hear them.

The original necklace:

339FC0C0-46E5-446B-8B34-75770E7C7B4B.jpg

BDB107D9-5292-413A-8DEF-EF07517DDE6E.jpg

80EB6D6A-0A76-4631-8589-B023BD00042B.jpg

4804CCF7-1922-4A28-A6B2-32E1979F2E0A.jpg

B2187DEE-3AD8-4238-B7E1-9496A654C5D3.jpg

Last edited:
Very pretty- perfect for fall. When I add a group of beads like you have done, I do not knot between the beads or the pearls next to them. This way the pearls next to the beads stay flush, then I continue knotting the strand as usual.

If you don't like the double knots, see if Pattye has Beader's Secret in bronze in the larger size. You will be happier, I think with the thicker thread.

I think so, too. When I checked earlier this week, though, Pattye had no heavy bronze Beader’s Secret in stock. I’ll drop her a line on Etsy to see when she might have it.

Thank you! I hope my imaginings of how it will look will be realized! ✨

You could use silicone bead bumpers (http://www.beadalon.com/products/beadbumper.asp) between the row of crystals and the pearls on either side so the crystals don't rub against the pearls. They come in different colors and 2 sizes. I use the 2mm size; the hole in the bumper accomodates either regular or heavy Serafil or Beaders Secret.

To make a larger knot (rather than 2 knots in a row) you can make a jeweler's knot. With a jeweler's knot, you pass the needle + thread through the overhand knot a second time before tightening it. I find one has to be careful with this knot; it doesn;t necessarily slide into place just by pulling the 2 threads apart, and you can end up with a knot in the wrong place that has to be unpicked unless you are careful. I have worked out this method which never fails me:

I make a loose, regular overhand knot and use an awl (or you can use a darning needle or a nail) to "walk it" to where I want the knot to be, next to the previous pearl. Leaving the awl in place, I tighten it just a bit until the knot is nearly closed, then I pass the needle through the knot from behind again. I then tighten it, with the tip of the awl still in place. Finally I withdraw the awl and tighten the knot the rest of the way by pulling the 2 threads apart firmly. This method never fails to give me a good jeweler's knot in the right place.

I use jeweler's knots when regular size thread is generally thick enough but one or two pearls have a larger than usual drill hole. It prevents the knot from slipping into the pearl hole.

Bead bumpers are also good for filling in an eroded drill hole or compensating for an overly large drill hole. I think I may buy some of the 1.5mm ones for this purpose in cases where the 2mm bumper is slightly too large for the eroded area.

Last edited:
Back