SSP harvest - thought I'd share

katbadness

A farmer friend sent me these pics the other day. Thought I'd share them with you guys..

Enjoy!
wSS_harvest.jpg

Harvest_Nov_2013.jpg

Very nice !
Yes, indonesia SSPs nr 1 in the World in my book ;)

Oh, I forgot to include stats. The pearl in the oyster is about 14mm.

No, I haven't been to this particular farm (in Indonesia's West Papua). However, I did visit their hatchery, which is on another location altogether.

Fascinating stuff, this pearl cultivation. There are so many exacting steps to create one pearl. But even then, we can't exactly predict the outcome. If you look closely in the bucket, you'd see a few goldens, though this particular cultivation area is known to produce lustrous white SS pearls. My friend said she sometimes sees silverish, pinkish and bluish pearls in the harvest, as well.

I'd be curious to see what is actually harvested in other areas in Indonesia that's a known cultivation area for the golden pearls. I'm sure there will be some white ones in the mix.

Wow! I see a couple that look purple! Gorgeous! So, the two yellowish ones without any lustre, would those be some pre-implant nucleus mixed in do you think?

Jodie

I have been in a small farm in lombok, that is run by some good people i sometimes buy Pearls from. ( they have 2 different locations. for the farms ).
They get all colors, White, silver, gold and many different tones.
Pinkish, blueish, greenish etc.

South Sea Pearls.jpg055.jpg049.jpg044.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! I see a couple that look purple! Gorgeous! So, the two yellowish ones without any lustre, would those be some pre-implant nucleus mixed in do you think?

Jodie

You know, I am wondering the same thing.
Given that the bucket contains harvested pearls, I'm inclined to think they are implanted nucleus that didn't successfully get coated with nacre. But that's just my theory.

I have been in a small farm in lombok, that is run by some good people i sometimes buy Pearls from. ( they have 2 different locations. for the farms ).
They get all colors, White, silver, gold and many different tones.
Pinkish, blueish, greenish etc.

View attachment 26026

Gorgeous pearls, Dave.
Maybe we should go pearl-farm touring together sometime. Heheh.. The location you mention is much closer than Raja Ampat!

Last edited:
Delightful! I'd love to run my hands through that lot. :D
Me too.. I wish I can run my hands through them like this guy did... hahah...

SSP_harvest_in_hand.jpg

The image quality is not the greatest, but you can deduce the size of the pearls (and the size of the bucket in the background!).
These pics are taken on the same harvest day.

Last edited:
How neat! Thanks so much for sharing these! I must tour a farm one day...... it's all so fascinating!

Wow, great pics. True mausketeer, so fascinating. I too have to visit a farm one of these days! Thanks for sharing!

Raja Ampat Islands is one of the 10 best diving waters around the world.
Raja Ampat Islands are in the triangle coral reefs of the world, so not surprisingly, this region is rich with coral reefs and fish species are unique and rare.
Raja Ampat, like an unpolished gem, and once to this place, forever , you will never forget its beauty.
Of the hundreds of species of coral reef, seven species of which are new findings to science, and has never been found in other areas.

Well Raja Ampat seem to be a very nice spot for diving !
Maybe you can find some "natural" treasures there :D

So beautiful! If only the farmers knew how much their efforts are appreciated.

Absolutely gorgeous, thanks both of you for the amazing photos. I could play with that bucket of pearls all day and be perfectly content. :)

Back