Shallow Pearls

I love that Verdura necklace- mainly because it reminds me of one they did in Baroque Tahitians that I would describe as aubergine...with a similar pendant/enhancer but instead of a pearl drop a huge amethyst I think. It's in one of my books in a box somewhere yet to be unpacked. Master Jewelers I think?
It takes your breath away when you open the page...

Kokichi Mikimoto, who ate two pearls every day of his 96-year life, is the man who refined the culturing process and wouldn?t take ?No? as an answer to the idea of cultured pearls until they were accepted by the finest jewelers around the world.

Well that's interesting.... I wonder where he got that piece of info?

Ashley said:
Kokichi Mikimoto, who ate two pearls every day of his 96-year life, is the man who refined the culturing process and wouldn?t take ?No? as an answer to the idea of cultured pearls until they were accepted by the finest jewelers around the world.

Well that's interesting.... I wonder where he got that piece of info?

That quote is true for the most part. I thought he only ate one per day, but I could be wrong. It may have been two. Of course swallowing whole pearls the way he did does not have any real benefit.

Of course swallowing whole pearls the way he did does not have any real benefit.

And eating ground up pearl dust does?:eek:

Yes, ingesting pearl powder can be very healthy. Pearls have amino acids that are building blocks to our cells and research has shown that it can improve the appearance of skin cells, aids with anti-aging, and is also a good form of calcium among other benefits.

I'll be nice, but pearl powder as health product is ridiculous - its simply BS put out by the producers of the products. I'll take it all back if someone can show me some peer reviewed research?

It is a good calcium supplement I guess, but the toxins that may accumulate e.g. lead and mercury might negate any health benefits. There could be some basis to the amino acids, but I don't think there will ever be any peer reviewed articles. It's just not used widely enough in modern medicine, and calcium carbonate is easily available without having to grow pearls for it. There is however a study with a sample size of 5 about chewing gum helping with post-op ileus ...

As for the ground up pearl dust, the absorption will be greatly increased as opposed to a pure pearl simply because of the greater surface area for the acid to act on in dissolving it. Versus a whole pearl.

Last edited:
Back