Tin Cup Necklace History

BeadersSecret

Professional Rethreader
Most of us have heard of the “tin cup necklace”. But did you know that it was designed by a jewellery designer named Wendy Brigode?

This was the first time that skin tone coloured cord silk, instead of chain or wire, was used to give the Invisible, or floating look.

By rights, it should be called a station necklace, like the chain version. Wendy Brigode was given special permission by Warner Brothers, to use the name “Tin Cup” for her innovative design which was worn in the movie.....the rest is history as we say.

Another piece of trivia around this necklace design, is that Rene Russo not only wore this in the Tin Cup movie, she also wore it in another movie that year named Ransom, ( go Rene!).
It was said that the costume designer for Ransom said she was horrified when she learned of the overlap with the necklace as it’s a bit of a costumers faux pas.

I really wish Wendy Brigode had been given more recognition for her wonderful creative design.
We all know the “Tin Cup necklace” but few people know or recognise the creator behind.

Thank you for posting this!

Before I knew this story, I thought that there were little tin cups on the sides of the pearls to protect them from the chain between the pearls. Yeah, I was dumb.

Interesting story! I must admit I knew nothing about the naming convention or the story behind this style of jewelry. I remember back in 1994 when I was at "Pearls '94" in Hawaii I had a chance to see my first "fish rope" and steel wire floater designs. The translucent fish rope (it had a trademark name back then, since it was not actual fishing cord, but I can't remember the name :confused: ) was my first experience with this jewelry style.

Anyway, I also delved around and found this Blog post to continue this subject.

And an image of the "Tin cup" pearl necklace design to splash it up!
image_thumb%5B36%5D.png

I think I still have some of that cord, Douglas. They were called floating pearls because it looked - from a distance - as if the pearls were just floating. Or illusion necklaces. They were everywhere and definitely a 'thing' back then.
I found a photo. I remember they were easy but tedious to make.shopping.png

I loved that floating necklace look, but I never bought any.

Thanks Douglas for the picture memory.

My recollection of the floating necklace back in the early nineties was of a single diamond or pearl suspended on wire or cable.
Was very effective too.

In the early seventies, Elsa Peretti created the station style and this was sold through Tiffany’s. I believe Elsa still holds the trademark over that collection which is still being sold by Tiffany.

Yes I have been in the trade a long time - long enough that what was once old fashioned is now trendy again. ��

This is very interesting history; thank you all!

Your knowledge is invaluable Bernadette - I don’t have a Tin Cup necklace. My wish list is too long at this stage to add a Tin Cup but it’s ‘food for thought’ or ‘pearls for thought’ sounds more appropriate!

I think I still have some of that cord, Douglas. They were called floating pearls because it looked - from a distance - as if the pearls were just floating. Or illusion necklaces. They were everywhere and definitely a 'thing' back then.
I found a photo. I remember they were easy but tedious to make.View attachment 76689

Your picture brought me back 13 years ago. One of my earliest DIY pieces was a necklace in this style, of Swarovski crystal pearls, in different shades of purples and pinks.

I always liked the look of the floating pearls necklace, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a necklace with plastic wire between the pearls.

I loved that floating necklace look, but I never bought any.

I have one, with gray pearls of varying shapes and sizes.

Back to the Tin Cup, it's difficult to find one with lots of pearls. Most modern tin cup necklaces seem to be five or seven pearls.

Kojima has a lot of tin-cup necklaces with lots of pearls. Some the necklaces have pearls every 1/3 of an inch, and the necklaces are 4 or 5 feet long.

I mentioned the name Elsa Peretti earlier in this thread, she was the creator of the Station necklace sold through Tiffany's, and the predecessor to Wendy Brigode's Tin-Cup necklace.

Elsa's jewellery designs have been described as "revolutionary", and "timeless.

Sadly, she passed away this week in her 80th year, what a great loss for the industry.

Back