pearl engagement ring

We have had some people happy with solid nacre engagement rings, whether freshwater or natural.

Below is a natural baroque ring from my granpas stash of Bahraini pearls. It is probably at least 60 years in this setting, (which is more battered than the pearl)

Attachments

• baroque pearl ring 008.jpg
    baroque pearl ring 008.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 46
I love the setting. When I get that natural pearl of my ring dreams, it's going into a new version of that setting. Maybe with a really teeny weeny pav? of alexandrites along the parts that hold the pearl just because I love those stones, but it is very elegant without.

Slraep

Hi Jerin,

I printed out your great answer/post and put it in my pearl folder! I can whip a copy out and just hand it to people who ask me what Carl is asking. Thanks!!

Slraep

You are very welcome, Slraep!:)

I love that setting also! It looks almost like the mussel is opening to let the pearl out.

pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Sea of Cortez pearls follow ethical fair trade practices, how about a light color keishi from them? I was thinking Jeremy might have some----

Pattye

durability

durability

My wife's pearl engagement ring has held up very well over the last two years. The pearl is a saltwater natural.

Although she tries to be careful of banging it, I've seen her obliviously give it some pretty nasty hits/swipes and god only knows what I haven't witnessed. Yet, as best as I can tell the pearl hasn't a single scratch or dent.

I believe that most of the sentiment about pearls being too fragile for a ring worn everyday is due to the inferiority of cultured pearls. Though I haven't put it to the test the solid, saltwater nacre of my wife's ring appears to be as durable as can be. I guess time will tell.

That's very good news! We are always interested in what wears well when it comes to pearls! No doubt lack of treatment helps a bit.

Pattye

Hi Preswine. Long time no see.

I remember following your quest with bated breath. And I was so happy you picked a natural pearl. I don't think you will see much of anything on that ring from banging for many years to come. Check out my old Bahrain pearl a couple of posts above. I has been worn since the 30's as part of a pair of earrings and since the 40's or 50's as a ring. As I said, the gold is more battered than he pearl!

Now we also have the testimony that Sarah of Kojima and Pacific Pearls has worn a dangling Tahitian on a bracelet for 7 years to no ill effect. I personally saw it bang a couple times so I asked..........

When I made the simple pearl rings on silver I made the first one for myself. The pearl is just glued onto the spike and has no protection at all, and has banged around a lot. It is still fine.That was last January and I have worn it just about continuously through dishwashing, bathing, gardening, all sorts of stuff.

Back