Removing back from a pearl.

Thank you SurfnSci! I will have to try it soon. Knowing that you all used the boiling water with success is really helping my mindset :) Oh I know all about the pegs breaking! I am not the most patient person in any room...

I am here to report that the boiling water method worked for me!!!! As suggested here, I used a strainer, put the pearl in it amd into a pot with warm water, let the water boil and left the pearl there for 3 minutes, took it out, started to gently pull and very very gently twist, the pearl cooled very quickly so I repeated the process 5 times. On the third time the finding started to move slowly but it still took two other times to come off. The last time I left the pearl in the boiling water for 5minutes.I am so so happy and relieved that the pearl looks perfect and ready for its new pendant destiny! Thank you all for your recommendations!

Since I use gel superglue removal is easy. I just use the glue dissolver. If it doesn't come away immediately then I put the item in a ziplock to think until I get back to it. (ziplock because the dissolver evaporates)

Since I use gel superglue removal is easy. I just use the glue dissolver. If it doesn't come away immediately then I put the item in a ziplock to think until I get back to it. (ziplock because the dissolver evaporates)
Super glue dissolver...where do you get that? And it doesn't hurt the pearl?

It's often sold along with the glue itself. I use gel superglue as it is more controllable and doesn't run everywhere. And no, no pearl interaction.
Can be found at local hardware stores, or, more easy and probably cheaper from eg eBay and such websites.

Just giving you all an update, the EBay seller gave me a full refund as the pearls were indeed imitations. Whew! If they had been real, it was a great price. I guess it paid to try and remove the backings to find this out.

Were they gritty feeling? Did you happen to do the tooth test?

It's probably a good idea to test any eBay pearls you're unsure about.
Also I never buy from eBay sellers who don't accept returns,.

Tooth test was somewhat gritty.
Also, EBay is great about stepping in and helping with returns, even if a person doesn't offer a return policy. EBay's policy is that returns are required if the item is not "as advertised." So if something is advertised as "Tahitian Pearls" and they turn out to be imitation, then EBay will step in to require a refund. I've only had to call on this help once, but it was great to have EBay behind the the purchase. Most sellers are unfamiliar enough about pearls that they appreciate knowing when something is imitation and willingly return the item.
Once I purchased from a seller who was advertising South Sea when they were just really nice Freshwaters. He was very angry about the return, and blocked me as a purchaser. His jeweler had told him they were South Sea. So, even Jewelers get it wrong. Overall I've had very good experiences purchasing on EBay. Most people selling want to do the right thing-and I'm happy to purchase if it is the "real thing." I do not purchase from China, only Estate and Vintage/Used in the US or Europe. I've found some lovely items at good prices.

Back