Abalone Mabe' Pearls

J Marcus

Hello fellow pearl afficionados!

I just found and joined this forum. I'm glad to see that it exists. It appears to contain a great fund of pearl knowledge.

I just found out that this post as I originally composed it was contrary to the rules of the forum. For that I apologise--I'll read the rules in their entirety before further posting. Also, I have edited out the offening parts of this post to make it conform to the rules.

I thought that members might enjoy seeing some of the Mabe' Pearls that I have made from blister pearls found in the shells of wild, free-living abalones.

I hope you enjoy looking at them. Let me know what you think.

Regards,

J. Marcus ~ Fine Goldsmith
http://www.flyrodjewelry.com/about_abalonemabes.html

Attachments

• AbMabSingle18bNet.JPG
    AbMabSingle18bNet.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 39
  • AbMabExptn4bNet.JPG
    AbMabExptn4bNet.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 37
  • AbMabExptn2b.JPG
    AbMabExptn2b.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 33
  • AbMabTriple1bNet.JPG
    AbMabTriple1bNet.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Welcome to the PG. Your abalone mabes are lovely, but I think your post is an advertisement for items you wish to sell, which is against forum policies:

"Advertising
Advertising is regarded as a form of spam. Posting information about a product or service that does not directly apply to an ongoing discussion or thread will lead to suspension and ultimately banishment of the offending member. No link dropping!"

https://www.pearl-guide.com/policies-and-rules-of-conduct.shtml

Last edited:
Hi J. Marcus,

The way to best participate here is to have your website under your name so we can look if we want to.

Make photos of some of your abalones part of your post, and give a little history of them. That way it is not a direct advertisement, and those with special interest can follow up.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Oops!

Oops!

To Pattye and Pearl Dreams. Thank you for letting me know that. I did not intend to break the rules here. I didn't see anything in the forum rules listed on the sign up form and didn't realize that not all the rules were posted there. I'll be sure to read them in their entirety before further posting. I believe I have edited out the offending parts of my original post now.

Regards,
J. Marcus

Last edited:
Mr. Marcus: Your pearls are lovely. I'm not a big fan of blister pearls, but I do love abalone. Are there varying degrees of treatments applied to abalones? I've seen some which say they are laminated. When I think of lamination, I think "Formica". Are abalone shells laminated or is there an inner core of some other material holding them together? Obviously I have a lot of questions about the processing of these beautiful shells. Can you shed some light on this? Thanks! (Sorry if my questions are dumb, but consider the source.)

Here's a pic of something I'm considering purchasing.

Attachments

• 16a21c9b456d211a89a0f88ea0e5da5d.jpg
    16a21c9b456d211a89a0f88ea0e5da5d.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 38
Hi again, J Marcus,

I think you are on the right track now! I, too, love abalone, in it's finest colors. Yours are gorgeous! Yes, a gemstone would be lovely set into an abalone pearl, but I agree a tiny gold or perhaps even silver bezel would make a better transition. Your comments about the ring are interesting too.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

laminated abalone

laminated abalone

I'm really not sure how laminated abalone shell is processed. I do know that it is very hard to get pieces of abalone shell that are flat for any appreciable length. I've seen pairs of abalone knife scales that measure as small as 2 7/8" long x 7/8" wide x 1/16+" thick that were selling for up to $150.00! (Gee--I guess I'd better go dig out my scraps!!!) Luthiers often require large pieces of abalone shell for inlays in instruments. Therefore, I would guess that if there is a way to do it, someone has. I haven't seen any of this material so I can't say how it is made. I apologize for not having any more information about it but I think that you might have better luck contacting a luthier supplier.

Regards,

J. Marcus

To Pattye and Pearl Dreams. Thank you for letting me know that. I did not intend to break the rules here. I didn't see anything in the forum rules listed on the sign up form and didn't realize that not all the rules were posted there. I'll be sure to read them in their entirety before further posting. Is there some way that I can take down my previous post? I would be glad to do that.

Regards,
J. Marcus

I don?t think there is a need for such a drastic matter as taking down the lovely photos of Your Abalone as you have told us how it came...

If you are uncertain you might contact our administrator Caitlin Williams, but I am sure it is OK as it is. It is nice to welcome a fine goldsmith in our midst, that will give us a possibility of asking questions about findings and so on;)

All is well.

All is well.

Jerin,

Thank you for your kind words. I can see that I didn't make myself clear. Actually, those pictures went up after that exchange when I found out that I could edit my original post and did so to remove my "errors." All is well now and the pictures will remain. I think that I'd better go back and re-edit and make things clear.

Yes, I've been a goldsmith for well over 35 years and have had the good luck of being involved in the creation of custom and original design fine jewelry for the duration. I have extensive experience in fabrication in platinum, palladium, gold and silver as well as wax carving and casting and largely the whole range of stone setting. I have also done quite a lot of lapidary and inlay work, though not faceting. I'll be glad to be of help if I can.

Regards,

J Marcus

The enlarged photos are great! Thanks for fixing your post; it's good to have you here.

Do these also occur in the waters around Indonesia? I have a mabe abalone pendant set in sterling which I have reason to think came from thereabouts.

Yes, I've been a goldsmith for well over 35 years and have had the good luck of being involved in the creation of custom and original design fine jewelry for the duration.
Mr. Marcus, are you open to custom work on loose pearls/shells that we might have lying around?

Hi Marcus
Your post is fine as is.

We love to see good examples of something over here and abalone is one of everyone's favorites. If anyone wants to talk purchase, they can PM you or email you

I like your wevsite too.

Answers

Answers

To Pearl Dreams:
I have little experience with abalone's except for those that occur in North American coastal waters. I understand that a blister pearl sometimes occurrs in the ones around New Zealand and Australia, though. I see no reason that they wouldn't occur in any waters that have Toredo Clams (Shipworms) or similar parasites.

To Smetzler:
Yes, I am open to custom work. Persons interested may contact me through my email which is to be found on the website.

To Caitlin et al:
Thank you so much for the kind words. I can see that this forum will be fun. I can see that there are a good group of lively, enthusiastic and well-informed persons involved here.

Best regards,
J Marcus (Marc)

Welcome indeed, J. Marcus.
Your abalones are beautiful. And it's great to have a working goldsmith here too.

Back