Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kelluvpearls
    replied
    This is interesting, so almost all the Akoya pearls on the market are from China?

Leave a comment:

• Caitlin
    replied
    I am having trouble posting this, but I think you are right in principle, it is just that Japan obscured the issue by selling tons of Chinese pearls as biwas. So now, it is a commercial term for a bead store quality pearl and the pearl mongers know how to market. They like the term Biwa.

Leave a comment:

• pearlinterest
    replied
    Thank you Caitlin! I guess I'm asking is it ethical to call a pearl that did not come from Lake Biwa a "Biwa Pearl". The term Ceylon for sapphires is only supposed to be for sapphires that came from that region. However many in the industry deceptively call sapphires of "ceylon" color "ceylon Sapphires". Isn't this the same issue? If it is not from Biwa, it is not a Biwa?

Leave a comment:

• Caitlin
    replied
    Hi. Coincidentally, I was researching Lakes Biwa and Kasumiguara yesterday.

You are absolutely right, about about the confusion of what Lake Biwa pearls are. According to Elisabeth Strack pp405-407.. Beginning in the 70's Japan bought all of China's earliest production of rice crispies for years and sold them with the pearls from lake Biwa.
    There is no way to tell what is Chinese, most of the time. It is a useless task to think anything else ever happened and try to tell the difference.

So. in my opinion, any pearls called Biwa are from the same mussel, but unknown which country produced it- 99.99% sure it is China, because there is very little production at lake Biwa at the moment. The pearls so designated are usually one cut above the rice crispies. Even though they are technically rice crispies, Biwas are the bigger and smoother rice crispies.

Interesting factoid:
    The same is true of akoya pearls. Japan claims them all, but China has been supplying Japan with top quality akoyas since the 1950''s. Akoyas were the first cultured pearl perfected by the Chinese, right after the Revolution. The Chinese did not start marketing their own akoyas until 1992, so virtually no one knew.

Leave a comment:

• pearlinterest
    started a topic Biwa

Biwa

What is the ruling regarding the use of the term "Biwa"? Can it only be used for pearls that originated from Lake Biwa? It seems that many vendors are using the term for pearls that are coming from mollusks that were the same mollusks that used to be used in Lake Biwa? My gut feeling is this is not okay, but perhaps the industry is accepting it? Thank you for any insight!
Working...
X