Can these be called faceted pearls?

Amrita

I have named them bead nucleated faceted fireballs, just because they seem to have facets (some subtle) on their surface....However, on being questioned about whether these are indeed faceted (by man or machine), I am a bit unsure.

Seeking advice here please - would these be termed "faceted" in pearly parlance...? If not, what do we make of the facets that are visible...? Thanks!

DSC09451.jpg

DSC09450.jpg

Hi Amrita,
The nucleus is "faceted" then the mussel just does its nacre thing :)

We just saw these facted nucleus pearls at Pearl Paradise. I am not sure what name they have as I didn't write it down. They also had matched loose pearls for earrings, you can see how different they are compared to the smoother baroques.
WHITECUBES.jpg

facetedcubes1.jpg

baroqueCUBES.jpg

I'm not sure what the correct name would be for them. They do have a faceted nucleus and they are beaded. I picked them up for our show and tell at the ruckus because they were just so strange. We're considering doing something with them for the Pearl Collective lines as they don't really fit our mix, IMO.

Funny because we have been calling them "diamond nucleated" for the past couple of years because of the faceted look.

Wendy, really? Are they supposed to look like pearls that have been hand-faceted?

Hi Blair, who knows who will think they are real....
they are round and have small facets like a gemstone
I've got some faceted freshwaters too from years ago - some sort of coating over a fw pearl with facets in it. applied in two halves as you can sometimes see the join.

I think they are the same. Like some round nucleated pearls become baroque or semi-round I think these "diamond" shaped nucleated pearls have different forms. BTW I call them Diamond shaped but they aren't actually all symmetrically faceted. I like them even though I am in the round nuclei business. The angles catch the light in some really nice ways and the necklaces and bracelets are different but still appeal to pearl purists like myself.

Wendy, we saw the type of freshwaters that were encased in a clear faceted plastic at the Gemfaire, during the first Ruckus a few years ago. They actually looked pretty and came in some interesting coating colors, but as they wanted a lot of money, I passed. I was wondering if the imitation faceted pearls look like the surfaces are curved instead of flat, like the real thing.

Back