I'm going to be brave and attempt drilling a FW pearl, but first... recommendations?

Adeline... GET A DRILL.. it will inspire your lovely creations even further! I prefer my Yotsuba model to the Chinese versions I have used. It's a bit heavier and sturdier, but much more expensive and I am sure that the newer drills being produced and exported from China are much better than they were a few years ago. I recommend getting hardened steel drill bits.. when you start.. LISTEN to the sound of the motor, when it starts to lag in the pearl, and you will learn to recognize how long to leave the drill bit in the pearl. It is very easy to drill pearls.. and I echo Morphius, do not attempt to use the drill bits for stone beads! I often travel with my drill.. I think we have three of them here at this point, it is an indispensable part of my business and SO much fun! I am certain that you will not only use it more often than you think, but that it will add a new dimension to your work! Enjoy..

Get a drill, Adeline! Sarah is completely correct - you will do so much more just because you have it.
I am happy enough with Chinese drills - I am sure the Japanese ones are better, but the cost differential is enormous. I have had one 'die' on me, only to replace it for about $140 from one of my pearl suppliers. It was kind of funny though - it was labeled a 'Paspaley' drill - I emailed and scanned the very non-Paspaley logo to one of my Pas friends who was surprisingly amused.
Dave is also right - get as many drill bits as you can - far more than you think you might need....
My drill, no doubt like Wendy's and Sheryl's, is in use many times a day, every day...

Definitely get a drill! My boys got me a little Dremel drll set for Christmas (looks like a Barbie accessory... Lots of tiny little sanding,brushing,polishing thingys in tiny little boxes) its been fine for me to just redrill pearls as Morpheus explained. But the set up he shows looks a hundred times better , and about the same price (Australia....everything costs more ) . It's been really handy, but now I want the drill in photo ;(

So.. I did it... Got my drill, tried it yesterday !! It's easy..... and I love it.
I love the freedom it gives me !!
Thanks to this thread I made another big step in my "pearling" adventure. Thank you all for shearing your experiences !!

I got the one that David suggested. Finally I got it from different vendor from China: http://www.topearl.com/pdm200-simple-style-pearl-drilling-machine-p-3810.html
I ordered and got more bits from another vendor. Total cost +-$10 from what David said....

And to reminescence: two years ago only tool I used was a nail filer and clippers.... Now I have two Dremels with bunch of attachments, Genie lapidary machine and a pearl drill !! Soon I'll be wearing overalls.....

lets say that I'm much less likely to have a nail polish on... LoL....

Worse is the lapidary grinder....reduces your nail into bleeding stump in a blink of an eye.... It's little better when I use a dop stick.

Ha! So funny, happened to be doing some reaserch on pearl drills yesterday just for fun. I'm contemplating the idea of purchasing one to make my own creations from A to Z. I was suprised to find the chinese drills are quite affordable. I looove pearl-guide for this: getting invaluable info when you need it!

Thanks Adeline for sharing your thoughs and steps leading to this subject. Looking at what you are making girl, you are ready to get one! Stop thinking, go and get it!

Thanks Morphius and Ivona for sharing your experience with these drills and the links to purchase them. Now I know were to go when I decide to get one. In the mean time, I will have to squat someone elses drill!

Back