Passing down pearls to the next generation

SuddenlyAddictedToPearls

Community member
It's me again with another question.
So... after reading on the forums, I've come to learn that freshwater pearls will last longer than akoyas. Is this right?
If I plan to buy pearls that I can eventually hand down to my daughter, should I be looking at freshwater instead of akoya? It seems really funny to me that akoyas cost more but will lose their lustre after 10 years.

thanks.

You are spot on, Akoya's really do have a shelf life. The better thicker nacre Akoya's will last a nice long time and still look great but even they aren't really suitable as a family heirloom.

Go with a nice high end freshwater pearl and with proper care your daughter will be able to give it her daughter as well.

Oh, another question... I've been reading that many of "grandma's" pearls are often fake. Why? Is it because they wouldn't have lasted this long? or because the supply was low back then?

Oh, another question... I've been reading that many of "grandma's" pearls are often fake. Why? Is it because they wouldn't have lasted this long? or because the supply was low back then?

People assume because their gradma's pearls are old, they are less likely to be cultured, and have high hopes they could be natural pearls, which would fetch a lot of money nowadays. They are often disappointed to hear they are worth next to nothing.

My grandma's pearls turned out to be early cultured pearls, quite poor quality, that's why she tossed it out of her jewellery box.

DK :)

Back