No announcement yet.

Need Opinions on Pearl Klonk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol yes I know there are magnificent Edisons out there! boy would I like to get my hands on a lustrous purple strand.
    I was just referring to the fact that we seem to want tissue-nucleated klonkers here!

Comment

Purranha, this is because I revived an old thread before the Edisons hit the market. About 8 years ago, the market only had "fireballs" for big nucleated fw pearls - these are Edisons with tails.....then the technology got better and the round pearls were achieved. I think the Edisons will become better and better as time goes by.
      Last edited by perlas; 04-06-2016, 03:44 PM.
      ______Perlas
      o-o-o E Unio Plurum o-o-o

Comment

Goodness - it was 8 years ago this thread got started wasn't it? I'm seriously envious of you ladies who started your collections early!

Comment

I've never heard of klonks. Is that their real name or just what you called them here? Because it doesn't sound "marketing worthy" if you get my drift.

So, those of you have have klonks, how do they compare weight-wise to Edisons? Big pearls can get heavy fast, so I'm wondering how full nacre pearls would compare to bead nucleated pearls for weight.

Comment

Yes this is an 8-year old thread Purranha. Lol.

BWeaves,
            You are right. The klonks isn't anyone's commercial marketing. It's what we call big pearls.

Here's a quote from Caitlin:

Originally posted by Caitlin View Post
            Small pearls clink -medium pearls clank and large pearls klonk. 12mm + or - is a klonker.
            Generally, since tissue-nucleated FWPs are mostly nacre, they are lighter. However, the bead-nucleated Edisons will have different weights depending on the type of mussel shell nuclei different farms use and how big they are. Some will have thicker nacre-coating while some will have bigger nucleus. Unless there is a controlled industry standard, I assume the Edisons are same as South Sea Pearls, bigger beads with thin nacre-coating are usually heavier....unless there are lighter nuclei being used that I don't know of!
            ______Perlas

Comment

Perlas - you have impressive technical knowledge (that's a blanket statement for the gemstone thread as well)!

Comment

My klonks are less desirable because they are chalky and without much luster - especially compared to my baroque Akoya, though bigger. They also cost less than the akoya but were not exactly cheap.

- Karin

Comment

Pearl Klonks to share!

These are dyed grey FWP from Kojima Pearl. The largest pearl at the center is roughly 15mm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KojimaKlonks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	366244

Name:	KojimaKlonks1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	366245

Comment

Wow, those are NOT klonks when worn with that sweater, BabyNurse ... look how they pick up the purple tones!
                    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Comment

Holy Klonks! Those are some DOOZYS! Gorgeous BN!!
                      https://www.instagram.com/pearlzaustralia/?hl=en
                      https://www.etsy.com/shop/pearlzaustralia

Comment

Wowza, BN! You never fail to surprise me. Those are amazing.

Now that you've had your klonks for awhile, what do you think of them?

P.S. Note to self: I'm obviously going to have to dig into the bottom of my jewelry drawer and start wearing some of my forgotten gems.
                        Last edited by BWeaves; 04-07-2016, 01:01 PM.

Comment

I've posted this picture before, but it is one of my favorite - mostly mum's, but it's our family of klonkers!
                          Plus family cat, Toro.

My WSSP is smaller 9mm-13mm
                          Mum's WSSP 11.5-15.5mm
                          GSSP 12-15.5mm
                          Tahitian 13-16mm

Name:	1.2.3.4. South Sea Pearls 1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	366249

Comment

BN, the fw klonks do look really good dyed gray!
                            Purranha, nice collection of SSPs!
                            ______Perlas

Comment

oooooooooo Purranha .... I'm drooling here ! My keyboard might not recover...
                              https://www.instagram.com/pearlzaustralia/?hl=en
                              https://www.etsy.com/shop/pearlzaustralia

Comment

Lol thank you Katbran and Perlas! Sadly those strands were purchased in Asia before I discovered PP, PoJ, etc. If mum gave me the $ she spent on those strands, I feel like I could have purchased even better strands from our beloved vendors here.

Comment

Working...
                                X