Freshadama colors

ejc

I am interested in purchasing a freshadama necklace for my wife. I am interested in a black set and looked at Pearl Paradise but they don't have them in black. The closest thing they have is a Lavender color.

My wife has a set of Akoya pearls that have a slight pink hue and that is why I was thinking of getting a black set.

Is there someone else that might have them in black? It appears that even the black freshwater pearls have peacock overtones so they are not really black. Do you think the Lavender freshadamas would be dark enough and go with a variety of outfits?

As you can tell, I am a novice about pearls and need some help.

Thanks.

Hi EJC,

The reason you will not find black freshwater pearls in our freshadama line is because black freshwater pearls are dyed. The other colors in the freshadama line are natural. What I would really suggest, if you are looking for a very specific color of black freshwater, is to call sellers of blacks and ask what colors they have available. Our pieces do tend to have the multi-hued peacock look to them, but that is only because we match them that way intentionally. A lot of sellers of black freshwater have solid color strands, as this is the way most are sold in China.

Well.. freshwater pearls are never black (the black ones are died) and black pearls in general are never really, really black - just a myriad of nuances of gray and brown with colorful overtones and orient. The few charcoal black pearls are not beautiful or valuable (I am thinking of aberrations without nacre covering).

I find it unusual to pair white & black pearls - sometimes it is done, but.. is this something you know the receiver of the gift would want to do?

Zeide, you are correct that I was looking for a different color for her to wear instead of the white set not with the white set. She hasn't requested a new set of pearls and does not know I am looking at getting her another set. I was thinking of black because it will go with so many colors.

I really like the freshadamas because of their uniformity in size, roundness, and color. I am going to think about it some more, but will probably get the Lavender set. These will be for our 39th anniversary.

Thanks for all of your inputs and educating me on pearls.

I have another question about the Freshadama colors. I noticed the pictures for the multi-colored strands. The pictures seem to show a very dramatic contrast to the colors, especially the lavender compared to the peach and white. In person, are the colors more alike in hue, or does the contrast stay true? Part of it may be my monitor, I am on a crappy old PC(main computer has been with APPLE for 6 weeks). So I can'T be sure of the colors.

Also, I see postings that the lavender are the most popular color choice right now. But somehow, I just can't imagine it. Is there anyway to see a photo on a neck? Anyone own a strand and willing to show them off?

Love the website, BTW. I plan on putting in my first order sometime this week.

Hello Salem,

Yes, there can be a very deep lavender, and quite a contrast in colors! I do like the all lavender strands, they range from more of a grey-lavender, to a pink-lavender. I think that the lavender strands are popular now because they are lovely, but also because women may already have white, black (peacock) and other colors, they want more to build their wardrobe of pearls! So I would say the variety of colors expands, and because they are relatively affordable, in off rounds, potato pearls, etc, strands are available starting under $100. There are many beautiful pearls, Freshadama being the primo of the rounds. Of course, it all is personal preference, and based on what we think looks good on us!!;) Oh, and that durn budget!!

Pattye

LOL,Pattye, I quite agree, the budget makes a problem with pearls. Although PP's strands do seem quite lovely and affordable so it makes it a bit easier. The problem with that is overindulgence. It is easy for me to rationalize buying more at one time because of the price. However, whatever I do order will be my first strand from PealParadise so I want to limit it to one strand. Now I just have to decide which...my real dilemma.

Are the colors random or do you know what the color will be before harvest. Is the color the same as the shell of the oyster. Why don't I see many pendants with large freshadama pearls? Like 11 or 12mm?

Valeria! So this is where you've been. Haven't seen you on PS in a long time.
-Casey aka. Innerkitten

Casey.R said:
Are the colors random or do you know what the color will be before harvest. Is the color the same as the shell of the oyster. Why don't I see many pendants with large freshadama pearls? Like 11 or 12mm?

The color is not predetermined. I am sure many of you have heard those rumors of dye injections etc. But within any given mussel you will find pearls of every color. There is a picture (somewhere) on this forum of a freshly opened hyriopsis cumingii. There are peach, lavender, and white, all from the same mussel.

Back