Inherited Pearls. Are the Mikimoto

samiyaw

I inherited some pearls from my Grandma a couple of years ago and having no knowledge about pearls I decided to do some research on them. They were a gift from my Grandpa to my Grandma and come with paperwork to suggest they are Mikimoto pearls bought in Hong Kong from Lane Crawfords in 1962. However they don't have a Mikimoto clasp :(

I'm wondering whether my Grandma was unaware of the importance and value of the clasps and had it changed or whether they are actually not authentic Mikimoto pearls. Does anybody know if its worth taking it to a Mikimoto store in London and seeing if they will be able to confirm their authenticity or if without the clasp they won't take a look? :confused:

Its a beautiful strand and I would really like to get more wear out of it and need to get it cleaned and restrung and was also hoping to get an appraisal but have read that without the Mikimoto clasp they wont appraise it. I have no intention of selling it but am still interested in its value.

Does anybody know if Mikimoto has ever used different clasps when selling through retailers? I have attached some photos of my pearl, the clasp and attached paperwork.

Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• 20170816_180002.jpg
    20170816_180002.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 20170816_180105.jpg
    20170816_180105.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 20170816_180017.jpg
    20170816_180017.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 86
  • 20170816_180036.jpg
    20170816_180036.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 20170816_180042.jpg
    20170816_180042.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 20170816_180049.jpg
    20170816_180049.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20170816_180008.jpg
    20170816_180008.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 105
Hi there, newbie here. For its age, the pearls are still very beautiful! A lot of love must have gone to caring for the necklace!

Might be worth popping over to Mikimoto with the certificate, and see how it goes. Best case, it is, you can have it restrung and buy a Mikimoto clasp to go with the "refresh". Worst case, they won't look at it, so just have it restrung elsewhere and continue wearing them. IMHO, the sentimental value it holds is worth much more that having it validated as a true Mikimoto strand. But if you're planning on reselling, then that's a totally different matter altogether.

Good luck, and as they say here, wear your pearls in good health! :)

Hi there, newbie here. For its age, the pearls are still very beautiful! A lot of love must have gone to caring for the necklace!

Might be worth popping over to Mikimoto with the certificate, and see how it goes. Best case, it is, you can have it restrung and buy a Mikimoto clasp to go with the "refresh". Worst case, they won't look at it, so just have it restrung elsewhere and continue wearing them. IMHO, the sentimental value it holds is worth much more that having it validated as a true Mikimoto strand. But if you're planning on reselling, then that's a totally different matter altogether.

Good luck, and as they say here, wear your pearls in good health! :)

Thank you for replying :) yes they have been looked after very well although I don't believe my Grandma wore them very much, I intend to get alot more wear out of them :eek:

I'm going to London in a couple of weeks so will see what Mikimoto say but yes you're right I have absolutely no intention of selling them due to the sentimental value of them.

Lovely necklace and thank you for showing the documentation also. Is it possible there was a small pearl in the middle of the clasp? It sort of looks like a peg in the middle of a cup. Or is it some sort of gemstone?

Everything appears authentic to me and we will be most interested to hear what you will hear from the Mikimoto store when they see the pearls and documents.

Lovely necklace and thank you for showing the documentation also. Is it possible there was a small pearl in the middle of the clasp? It sort of looks like a peg in the middle of a cup. Or is it some sort of gemstone?

Everything appears authentic to me and we will be most interested to hear what you will hear from the Mikimoto store when they see the pearls and documents.

I thought the same about the clasp but I've done some more research and I did find somebody had posted the exact same necklace as mine and documentation on another forum asking if it was mikimoto too (this wasn't resolved) and the clasp is exactly the same as mine with the pin and no pearl or gem. Lane crawford is a luxury department store in Hong Kong so I can't imagine they would be selling pearls as Mikimoto if they're not authentic especially now I've found someone with the exact same necklace? I'm so interested to find out what Mikimoto say and will definitely update on here :)

Do a search on ebay for lane crawford... I have seen several of their mikimotos there. You can do a good comparison with what clasps are on the necklaces and see if yours is identical or missing the pearl. It does look like the pearl is missing. Could be that the other necklace you saw was missing the pearl as well if the same company made them and the glue failed to hold over several decades, or if they got wet. The back of the clasp is too small for me to read... what does it say? I would assume mikimoto would have stamped their trademark on the back, unless there is a lane crawford trademark (like they do with BL and SM strands).

I just noticed that the front page of your card with the Mikimoto emblem says, "A replica of this seal should be on your pearls."

I just noticed that the front page of your card with the Mikimoto emblem says, "A replica of this seal should be on your pearls."

Yes I also noticed it says that on the documentation and I've looked with a magnifying glass and can't find it anywhere :/

Thank you that's a good idea I'm going to look on eBay now :) and yes I guess it could be that there was a pearl but it fell out. The back of clasp has the numbers 835 on it

Do a search on ebay for lane crawford... I have seen several of their mikimotos there. You can do a good comparison with what clasps are on the necklaces and see if yours is identical or missing the pearl. It does look like the pearl is missing. Could be that the other necklace you saw was missing the pearl as well if the same company made them and the glue failed to hold over several decades, or if they got wet. The back of the clasp is too small for me to read... what does it say? I would assume mikimoto would have stamped their trademark on the back, unless there is a lane crawford trademark (like they do with BL and SM strands).

Just had a look on ebay. Only managed to find one strand. But its Lane Crawford MIkimoto with a Mikimoto authentication but also no mikimoto clasp. The clasp is very different to mine though and the back says 14k 57. They are newer than mine though, 1971. My clasp says 835.

835 is European silver- usually antique. I wouldn't be surprised if your grandmother had the clasp replaced.

HK was under British rule back then, so it could be that they used 835, but I'm not 100% sure. But seeing how the clasp doesn't have the Mikimoto M, I do lean towards someone replacing the clasp.

I did a quick search on ebay and came up with several Lane Crawford Mikimoto strands. They all had the M on the clasp. These are all completed auctions and not all of them sold. Browse down the list and click on each auction to get more info. Click on original auction to see the pictures.

[URL="https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=lane%20crawford%20mikimoto&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684[/URL]

Back