Pearl Information Association

Yes, members of this forum in the U.K. started this site last week. It's an educational site for their area of the world that is inundated with pearl parties and has more per capita than the USA . Some of the parties there also offer raffles, bingo and auctions. Sale items include pearls stuffed in chocolate candies, bath bombs, pearls in wax candles. beside the pearls (placed by man) in the oysters. If you haven't yet seen them, some are natural colors others dyed garish colors. (Skittles)

Because open forums to discuss this topic are limited there, they opted to create this forum. They hope to show that there are other options to buy pearls and also to show the public what great quality pearls look like. (commercial grade pearls are being posted as AAA or high quality) The page will be updated with new material often, and will contain a variety of many topics and hopefully interviews with members from this forum.... Some members of this forum have graciously allowed their photos or glamour shots of their collections, to be shown at this site.

Last edited:
I am not associated with the page I'm afraid. I was just pointing it out

I am not associated with the page I'm afraid. I was just pointing it out

My apologies.

Nobody owns up to it.

Their site is full of errors. They censor scientific evidence refuting those errors.

Reads more like ex-party people pretending to be experts.

You should give them a message in their inbox.
They have been very helpful towards me in any questions I have asked

I am not associated with it either. In reading their blog posts, it appears they are trying to communicate the sham nature of claims made during those horrid pearl parties. I don't think there is a malicious intent, instead, I think they are talking about a grain of sand being used to culture pearls. While that may be achievable (and Dave you are truly an expert so casting no judgement), it is certainly not at all common. But what I do think is common: these false claims that the pearls are somehow created by their unfortunate oyster hosts and a grain of sand.

They were hit right after opening by a barrage of troll posts, some extremely ugly. I haven't seen anyone posting claims to being experts. I do know a few of these people and their intent is just as Jersey Pearl posted above. It's a educational page for people in the UK to show what great pearls do look like. Their interview with Douglas McLaurin which went on the site yesterday, was great and hopefully there will be many more in the coming weeks by others here.

They were hit right after opening by a barrage of troll posts, some extremely ugly. I haven't seen anyone posting claims to being experts. I do know a few of these people and their intent is just as Jersey Pearl posted above. It's a educational page for people in the UK to show what great pearls do look like. Their interview with Douglas McLaurin which went on the site yesterday, was great and hopefully there will be many more in the coming weeks by others here.

My post was factual and respectful. I received numerous messages asking why it was pulled. In trying to find out why, it's become quite apparent it was at the behest of P-G members.

For that reason, I'll no longer contribute to this group.

MidnightLily, The page you found is run by a pearl party in the UK. Les Bel Amour Global.

Last edited:
Dave, you are certainly right in regards to your pearls. In traditional natural pearls that are from the oysters we associate with pearly nacre, it is the exception. Someone at the GIA lab told me that in 20,000 x-rayed natural pearls, they had not come across an obvious grain of sand nucleus (a quartz crystal). It must happen, but it's rare. Nowadays, natural pearls are scanned more closely than ever.

I've disagree. I've seen it hundreds of times, including a number of times under laboratory conditions and the strict scrutiny of accredited pearl scientists and preeminent paleontologists. I also posted that evidence, but was censored anyway. Why?

That site is full of errors. Being an information site, why are they not being held to a higher standard?

This is from the page:

What scientific evidence?

I have hundreds of pearls in my inventory that were formed by sand and can replicate the experiment on demand.

Yet, it's dismissed.. even wrongfully perpetuated outside by this group. For what reason?

Oh, Dave, I fear I've been mis understood...I am speaking about Facebook party hosts who claim (falsely) their particular oysters contain pearls that were created by a grain of sand...which we all know to be a false claim. They are cultured freshwater pearls. I wasn't attempting to speak with any knowledge on whether any oyster can create a pearl from a grain of sand. Poor wording on my part. My apologies for any confusion. Again, I have nothing to do with that site, but was posting this as a point of interest. I fear I've opened an unintended can of worms.

Only the oyster knows for sure...I know little but seems any foreign body could irritate. Sand is one but it could be any irritant /plant matter or fish/ crustacean/parasite...Those would decompose after time & just look like a small void near the origin area. Sand/quartz/coral or whatever hard substance would remain.
Seems Gem Geeks GIA source has found very little evidence of sand grains in natural pearls so it could be evidence that sand might not be the general cause as once thought. Oysters are near the bottom so guess the substrate around the different sea beds can vary but I imagine sand is everywhere. An oyster would be exposed to it with currents. Sand gets everywhere & is hard to get rid of...I hate sand!

This is intersting

https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/winter-2015-labnotes-natural-pearl-intriguing-internal-structure

Anyway I have my own problems & even though I'd like to come upon a natural pearl its not that likely...

Still its not well mannered of a site to delete an honest well intentioned post of contradiction rather than let the facts speak for themself.

Last edited:
The wise person shuts up when an expert speaks on their subject so they can learn. Only the idiot immediately speaks over them

Yes Dave, please don't leave the group. I don't know what that page has to do with this group other than someone finding a link and posting it. I love reading about your posts and your activities. You're a wealth of knowledge and adventure, and we respect and value your opinions!

Dave, please don't leave! Your expertise and knowledge are irreplaceable.

Last edited:
I have no doubt Dave has evidence that it's possible, but on the other hand it is the general consensus it's not common - with many believing it impossible.

But what I might ask is, does it really matter that much?

Anyway - nobody at PG is trying to suppress any science backing up the grain of sand theory. Nor do we have any affiliation with the Pearl Information Association.

Stick around Dave. You're always welcome to start a new thread to discuss the issue and post some evidence.

Back