In serious need of HELP!!!

BeccasBoys

I would really like to do FB and in home pearl parties but I am a very honest person and take great pride in providing exactly what is stated to my customers.
I am very concerned about the integrity and value of "akoya" pearls because I have heard so much from so many sources.
1. My biggest question is if it is possible to buy true akoya pearls inside of akoya oyseters?
2. Are they available wholesale?
3. Is there anything comparable to akoya pearls?
4. Is there a significant value difference between Akoya cultured and Natural Akoya?
5. How do I find good reliable suppliers?

I truely appreciate all and any help I can get!!!

The pearls inside those (saltwater) juvenile akoya oysters are freshwater pearls. The pearls that are going to be bright reds, greens, blues and blacks are dyed. (Peach/pink/lavender/cream/white colors occur naturally in freshwaters.)

The freshwater pearls are placed inside juvenile akoya oysters that would have been too young to use for culturing akoya pearls. The oysters are killed with chemicals that make the shell seal up tight. This is to make it seem that the freshwater pearls were actually grown in those saltwater oysters.

The parties are based on a fundamental deception. Some may now be admitting that the pearls are freshwaters, but do they admit the freshwaters weren't grown in that oyster, and that the colors in many cases are due to dyes?

People who open these shells are exposed to these nasty chemicals. Do you want this around your kids?

I do not know of any source for genuine akoyas being sold inside akoya shells. This is not information that will be published here, if it exists.

Cultured akoya pearls of good quality are significantly more valuable than cultured freshwater pearls.
The pearl industry today is a cultured pearl industry. Natural pearls -- pearls that occur in nature in the absence of any human intervention-- are rare and always have been.

Last edited:
Back