Yurman Pearls

Thank you! I'll read up on it. Have a good time! :)

ETA: I did read it a few days ago. I got some pointers there about what to look for and tested them with the pearls I got. It was very helpful.

Well, what I think I see is a well matched, strand of bead nucleated (cultured) freshwater pearls. These were bleached to a very light color, in my estimation, they appear over bleached in some photos, which might have affected the luster.

The slight graduation in size 9.6-10.85mm, if accurate, indicates genuine pearls to me, the slight off roundness of some pearls, too. Imitation pearls probably wouldn't have this graduation and would be closer to even millimeter size, 9.0, 10.0, 11.0. On the pearls that show the edge of the drill hole, the edge is sharply defined, not rounded as most coated pearls show.

Pearls are graded and matched by experts without using magnification, so when we, in our curiosity, check with a loupe or other means, we are going to notice the light blemishing, surface imperfections and such, not seen with the naked eye. I do wish I had a microscope, but for me 10X and 20X loupes have to do. A "dent" in a round pearl is often where the drill hole will be positioned.

The original price for the necklace would seem to be in line for a Yurman piece with genuine fw pearls, but not SS pearls.

This is just my opinion, of course. So the question would seem to be, do you like them enough and pay little enough to wear and enjoy them as they are?

Thanks Pattye. I do like the size and roundness the most and if I were to buy a new set this size, I would have to pay 2-3 times what I paid, so I am thinking hard. I just don't want fake pearls. A new set would have better luster but not as big nor probably as round. This set is much rounder than the freshadamas I purchased last year (around 8mm), so that part along with the surface/brand throws me off. I don't care about the brand, but Yurman isn't known for pearls, so how did he manage to get some really good sized pearls this round pre-2010? The pearls he uses now are very off round. Also the sizes ranging from 9.6-10.86 is a bit odd, isn't it? There are some things about this necklace that don't add up so one part of me wonders if someone made it using DY clasps. I did email the seller (in St Petersburg, FL) asking if they had any other info on the necklace. I may take the necklace to NM and DY tomorrow and ask them directly if they sold something like it.

Do you know how thick is a bead nucleated pearl's nacre is, or is that impossible to say because there are no standards? The nucleated inner bead would explain some of the ridges, wouldn't it?

Here is a picture I took yesterday but did not upload. When husband comes back, I will ask him for his digital calipers. I'm using an aluminum card from my grandmother's jewelry store. It was in her belongings when she passed and I claimed it because it was neat. DSC05254.jpg

These pearls were purposely pulled from the host before they had a substantial coat of nacre in order to get super-round pearls. Nacre can flake off the bead where it is thinnest, but you should be able to get decent wear out of them. They are just what you are looking for, so I say enjoy them. Otherwise, you will continue hunting for something that is out of reach. (Better nacre equals less round or more $$$.)

These pearls were purposely pulled from the host before they had a substantial coat of nacre in order to get super-round pearls. Nacre can flake off the bead where it is thinnest, but you should be able to get decent wear out of them. They are just what you are looking for, so I say enjoy them. Otherwise, you will continue hunting for something that is out of reach. (Better nacre equals less round or more $$$.)

That sounds like such a stupid thing to do, doesn't it? But it does make sense. Is this practice common?

If they are overbleached, could this not affect durability? Might the surface get scratched again more easily?

There was a thread recently where a dyed bead nucleated FWP was sawn in half-- the nacre was about 1mm thick. Here is the post with the photos of that pearl:

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sh...l=1#post137716

Thank you for that link!!! I read that a few days ago and couldn't find it again, so it was great seeing the photos and reading it again. It makes me want to cut open one of all my pearls, but I won't!

The markings on this pearl I have definitely fits all the markings on the fwp example. There are also white dots. The pictures posted said dark spots on the pearl were from dying the pearl black, so would the same apply to a off white pearl being dyed white or are they naturally occurring?

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds like such a stupid thing to do, doesn't it? But it does make sense. Is this practice common?

I haven't seen it as much in the last couple of years. It was a much bigger problem with akoya pearls for a while, and you still have to be very careful when purchasing akoya pearls. If what you are after is perfectly round pearls, enjoy them while saving for a really great strand in the future. :)

Back