Yet another wandering wonderer

Lhayes67

Hi. Brand new member here.

Here's the deal. I'm no pearl expert by any means and am looking for qualified opinions. I bought a necklace on eBay listed as a vintage 17-inch cultured pearl necklace that has never been worn.The pearls are approximately 8mm. The lady says she LOVES pearls and collects them. She supposedly bought these in the late 80s during a trip to Asia. Since she has so many sets of pearls, these were never worn and instead have been stored in the pouch they came in all this time. Or so she says. She says they're in wonderful condition with minimal flaws and insists they are the real deal. She's sold other pearls but always labels them as faux, glass or whatever. She sells vintage jewelry, clothing and various antique items.

The pearls themselves look GORGEOUS to me ... they glow in the pics she posted. However, what concerns me is the clasp, which is silvertone. These were also BIN for $30, which to my non-expert brain was mindblowing for the quality shown in the pics. Honestly, I think they're so gorgeous, even if they're not as good as I think they are, I'll still wear them when they arrive.

Here's the link to the listing & pics. Just scroll down: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200903705267?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

OK, let the knowledgeable opinions commence.

Thanks!

They are definitely not akoya pearls.

The pearls pictured are Chinese freshwater pearls. They are potato pearls from the Hyriopsis cumingi triangle shell mussel, not the Cristaria plicata. This means that it is very unlikely they were purchased in the 1980's. Those shapes didn't start appearing on the market until 1992.

For what you spent, though, you have a strand that you can wear everyday-- with no bead nucleus (as akoyas have), they are solid nacre.

Not having spent a lot, you don't have to worry about them. Just wipe them clean with a soft cloth after wearing them, and you will get lots of wear as you begin looking for your next pearls (we never can stop with one. :rolleyes:)

Chinese pearl culturing has come a long way since those, and your next strand can be higher quality-- and you have time to research what you want in the meantime.

I have a set of faux pearls for every day wear. Not much different than these, sounds like. Meaning value wise there's no difference between faux pearls and this kind.

It's true that your strand does not have high value financially, and if you just wear pearls as a fashion staple, fake vs. real may not matter to you. I have a few Majorica pearl strands that I enjoy wearing from time to time-- including the strand I was married in.

But for people like me who are fascinated with perliculture, there is ultimately no substitute for real nacre. Just the fact that it was made by a creature of the sea makes it special.

I want real but can only afford fake or cheap real. Actually I couldn't even afford these, but they were so pretty I couldn't resist ... especially for the price. And I'm a doofus when it comes to pearls (obviously).

You made the right choice to get real pearls for the money. Yours was a great choice for the money and will serve you well for a long time. In fact that kind of pearl necklace can take a lot of wear. So wear them a lot, for work, play or special occasions!

This is actually a great thing I love about pearls - unlike diamonds or gemstones they do not have to be expensive in order to be pleasant for the eye. Enjoy them and wear a lot, this way they will be worth every penny.

Actually I'm immediately returning them when they arrive. I decided no matter how pretty they are, I don't need them. I just wanted them. I need to hang on to my money.

Thanks for your help, though.

This is actually a great thing I love about pearls - unlike diamonds or gemstones they do not have to be expensive in order to be pleasant for the eye. Enjoy them and wear a lot, this way they will be worth every penny.

admittedly, i'm new to pearls but I think you actually did well with your purchase. it is a classic type strand that you can wear now and when you're 70. and being nacre it could last as long.

Returning is a good choice, too. If you ever dip your toe in again, you can make a better purchase in real sterling, for less money, because you now know. And we are here to help before you buy as well as after.

Back