Would love some insight.

KW79

Greetings!
New to the forum and seeking insight on these pearls. Thank you so much for sharing your wealth of knowledge and expertise. I have gone down a pearl rabbit hole and am now addicted to their amazing history and beauty.
These strands are of particular interest to me.

All pass the 'tooth test'.
The strands have been in the family a long time perhaps 100 years? No box or note.

I couldn't measure the pearls as I couldn't find my measurer (however, if requested, I can hunt one down!).

I have included the pictures of pearls, clasps, marks, and what drill holes I could see, and some of the flaws.
  1. First necklace: Tiny seed pearls, all drilled and strung (what an amazing feat!). Gold clasp marked 14K, though worn.
  2. Second necklace: Triple strand. There is one that looks 'peel-y' nearest the clasp, some also look like the nacre is cracked or otherwise traumatized. Clasp marked 14kG.
  3. Third necklace: Single strand. Marcasite clasp. Couldn't find mark, but there are some scratches (picture included) that could be possible worn off mark or just a tested area?
Questions: Should these be appraised? Recommendations for that in the Philadelphia or NYC area?
SEED PEARLS FIRST:
Seed pearl whole.jpeg

Seed pearl close 2.jpeg

Seed pearl clasp2.jpeg

TRIPLE STRAND
Triple strand full.jpeg

Triple strand hole.jpeg

Triple strand clasp.jpeg

Marcasite clasp, single strand.

Single strand macasite.jpeg

Single strand drill hole.jpeg

Single strand marcasite clasp1.jpeg

Hi there! And welcome to our Pearl Lovin' Forum! :)

I could just recognize one of the markings as "14K S". I could be wrong, but looking at the color of the clasp I believe it is "Silver" and that it once had a coating of 14K Gold (plating).

Of the pearls...they look really nice, especially in their "portrait mode", once the closeup is given you can discern more details, imperfections and the like.

The seed pearl necklace is really nice, I like these quite a bit...and just the work involved in drilling makes them special for me. I would say there are seed/keshi pearls there, maybe intermingled with some natural hinge pearls. They look like saltwater/Akoya to me.

Same for the other necklace: nice luster, good graduation (could be better!) so I thinke these might have been remade using other pearl necklaces. They also look like nioce Akoyas to me!

Hi there! And welcome to our Pearl Lovin' Forum! :)

I could just recognize one of the markings as "14K S". I could be wrong, but looking at the color of the clasp I believe it is "Silver" and that it once had a coating of 14K Gold (plating).

Of the pearls...they look really nice, especially in their "portrait mode", once the closeup is given you can discern more details, imperfections and the like.

The seed pearl necklace is really nice, I like these quite a bit...and just the work involved in drilling makes them special for me. I would say there are seed/keshi pearls there, maybe intermingled with some natural hinge pearls. They look like saltwater/Akoya to me.

Same for the other necklace: nice luster, good graduation (could be better!) so I thinke these might have been remade using other pearl necklaces. They also look like nioce Akoyas to me!
Thank you so much for your insight. I also love the tiny seed/keshis. I can't imagine how long they took to string!

Yes, welcome to the forum.
Keshi pearls DO take a long time to string...this necklace (6 strands-19") took many hours. But I agree with Douglas, its the drilling that is the true labor of patience!
IMG_1081.JPG
IMG_1082 (2).JPG

Drilling tiny keshi pearls is not for the faint hearted!
Pearl Exporting Co (3).jpg

Back