Will South Sea Pearls value grow in next years?

Vermillion

I did not know if I should publish this topic in Pearl Culturing or here, The administrators may move it if they deem it necessary.

Traditionally pearls have not been considered the best jewellery investment, far behind branded watches or, of course, gold. But I see the trend changing, because pearls need clean, clear and pristine environments to grow.

As the quality of the environment worsens due to global pollution, this affects the oysters and the overall quality and luster of the pearls is worse.

This will cause the price of good quality pearls to grow over time and increase in value.

What do you think?

I don't see any kind of jewelry as an investment. Anyone who tries to sell their jewelry discovers this.

Pearls all the more so, as buyers of pre-owned pearls may be wary that the nacre, being soft, may have gotten scratched from improper care or storage, or the luster dulled with wear, perfumes, hair products etc. Not all pearl owners take good care of their pearls.

However, given the newly released report on global warming, I really have to wonder whether saltwater oysters will be able to survive as the oceans warm.
I could see prices of new-to-market pearls going up if the harvest decreases.

As a consumer, I agree with Pearl Dreams 100%; couldn't have said it better. Gold, precious metals, some gems like diamonds etc. have a hard, durable and intrinsic value not so easy to damage. True jewelry art pieces, and antiquities of course, including historic natural pearl pieces would likely continue to increase. I also do agree that rarity coupled with high quality, should raise the to-market value of the best pearls. My opinion of course :)

I don't see any kind of jewelry as an investment. Anyone who tries to sell their jewelry discovers this.

Pearls all the more so, as buyers of pre-owned pearls may be wary that the nacre, being soft, may have gotten scratched from improper care or storage, or the luster dulled with wear, perfumes, hair products etc. Not all pearl owners take good care of their pearls.

However, given the newly released report on global warming, I really have to wonder whether saltwater oysters will be able to survive as the oceans warm.
I could see prices of new-to-market pearls going up if the harvest decreases.

You are right from a consumer point of view, but I know that for example Paspaley's have been keeping high-quality pearls waiting for the market to improve

Interesting to see this topic, when I was coming here to link an article I just read. :05:

I hope it's still okay to post links -- Australian pearl breeding success offers hope for industry hit hard by coronavirus crisis - ABC News

I also read the other articles below that one. They all reference Broken Bay and Cygnet Bay pearl farms, and I assume Paspaley is the third? I didn't realize there were only three SS pearl farms in Australia, and that it takes six years to produce one pearl (no wonder I love them so much). No mentions of global warming or pollution.

One of the articles did mention that producers are aware that consumers want something exotic, and they are exploring ways to produce more colorful pearls (yellows, goldens). Boo! I love the silvery whites, but it is a business.

I'm thinking that they're all sitting on large harvests, waiting for buyers.

Pearls are a poor investment, as anyone who has tried to sell pre-owned items can attest. Any exceptional pearl will still have a hefty price tag, and I expect that people spending that kind of money will prefer new.

Last edited:
It is quite possible that a one-two-punch of water acidification and global warming may affect pearl oysters and pearl mussels in a way that pearl farming will no longer be possible, and then all these pearls we have will INDEED become more valuable and will have a better resale value.
Metals will always have a great resale value, but gemstones are not necessarily there...I mean even "the King of Gems" (Diamonds) do not carry a great resale value, but this could change in the future...we just never know when that future will arrive.

Back